Almost squashed by old muppet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
dondare said:
What do other cyclists do here?

Many don't go to Tesco and hurtle along the road leading into the car park then cut across the entrance and up onto the footpath where the road becomes a one-way street. I personally don't, as my back is not woolen and I wouldn't taste all that nice with mint sauce.

It's a fair point that when in a car park, manouvres that would normally be unusual are the norm, and that car parks aren't the places for undertaking/overtaking (tell that to the motorists who use the Tesco near my work as a rat run and speed through ignoring the 5mph signage) - EVERYONE should be looking out in all directions and driving/riding slower.

My issue is with the "what were you doing cycling in a CAR PARK?" attitude as if bicycles shouldn't be there when they have just as much equal right to be there as any car. Don't we get enough of the "you should be in the the pavement/only ride in cycle paths/in a car/off the road/" sort of attitude from non-cyclists without it appearing here??

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Sheffield_Tiger said:

My issue is with the "what were you doing cycling in a CAR PARK?" attitude as if bicycles shouldn't be there when they have just as much equal right to be there as any car. Don't we get enough of the "you should be in the the pavement/only ride in cycle paths/in a car/off the road/" sort of attitude from non-cyclists without it appearing here??

Couldnt agree more.

I hope my reply did not exhort this view in any way. My point was, its a car park, so cars will be Parking. Ride accordingly.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Crankarm said:
The clue is in the name of the place you were cycling in CAR PARK. What do you expect? A driver is not going to expect to encounter bicycles. Why were you cycling in it, innit?
Shouldn't they be checking for pedestrians though, at the very least... unless they expect that people who park their cars will just be staying in them....

OP
OP
Simba

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
jonny jeez said:
Hard to visualise, but it sounds like he was lining up for a space on the right (placed himself there to claim the space) and turned left to position himself ready to reverse back into the space.

Are you telling me you don’t do exactly the same thing in a car park.

Its a car park, not a road, you need to be aware that CARS are trying to PARK and will need to manoeuvre into a position to do this. Best not to try and over/undertake them as they do.

I wasn't planning on overtaking him. As I said I hung back to see what he was doing. He wasn't lining up for a space on the right he was just going straight then suddenly turned in on me. I will see if my local morrisons is on google street view.

A lot of pedestrians are injured in car parks by drivers not looking. If you're not expecting (and looking out for) people walking to & from their cars, then you're far too hard-of-thinking to look out for cyclists.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Was it one of these guys?
statler_waldorf.jpg

BentMikey said:
CAR PARKS are often also BICYCLE PARKS, at least a small section of them. GEDDIT?

Not in my local Tesco's so far as I would notice....They have a trolley park though...Is that ok?

jonny jeez said:
My point was, its a car park, so cars will be Parking. Ride accordingly.

Got to agree...and that would apply to me as sometimes does when I go into the car park looking for a trolley.

smeg

Of course cyclists use supermarket car parks I should know I work for one. I cycle commute to work therefore like other cyclists I cycle into the car park to get to the store as do our customers on bikes funnily enough. I didn't realise that was so unusual! :becool: And yes there's designated cycle stands/parking areas same as there's an area for motorcycles. Car parks are quite hazardous, drivers in car parks are often not pay attention to others and on a bike we're less likely to be noticed than a big Chelsea tractor so take care in them, obviously don't whizz about in full busy car parks and be ready to stop. You need to be careful on foot too. You should cycle in car parks assuming there's likely to be someone parking/reversing out that hasn't seen you because they're concentrating more on what they're doing than what everyone else is. I get to see all sorts of crap driving so I have the advantage in knowing what to look out for I guess, dopey old duffers and women bashing into other cars/each other when reversing usually, they just don't look where they're going. That's not an ageist/sexist remark btw just my observations. Only recently one woman somehow drove into one of the trolley bays (has a metal bar around it) and bashed up the front of her car, broken glass everywhere from the smashed headlights, it's not that first time that has happened. And then there's the boy racer chav scumbags driving too fast in the car park with their boomy musak blaring out, they tend to be the ones that just come up to use the cash machine rather than to shop. They drive around like that even when it's the weekend and there's small kids around with their parents. Crazy ;)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
What is it with these cyclists who cannot read the road?

I agree with User3143. A lot of incidents can be avoided by cyclists with the right hazard perception. Don't always rely on drivers to see you.

taxing

smeg said:
I get to see all sorts of crap driving so I have the advantage in knowing what to look out for I guess, dopey old duffers and women bashing into other cars/each other when reversing usually, they just don't look where they're going. That's not an ageist/sexist remark btw just my observations.

Your 'observations' are sexist. Women drivers have less accidents, that's why their insurance cost less. You can't see a woman have an accident, then generalise that to all women. Would you see a man have an accident and attribute that to the fact that he's a man? Doubt it.

smeg said:
Of course cyclists use supermarket car parks I should know I work for one. I cycle commute to work therefore like other cyclists I cycle into the car park to get to the store as do our customers on bikes funnily enough. I didn't realise that was so unusual! :sad: And yes there's designated cycle stands/parking areas same as there's an area for motorcycles. Car parks are quite hazardous, drivers in car parks are often not pay attention to others and on a bike we're less likely to be noticed than a big Chelsea tractor so take care in them, obviously don't whizz about in full busy car parks and be ready to stop. You need to be careful on foot too. You should cycle in car parks assuming there's likely to be someone parking/reversing out that hasn't seen you because they're concentrating more on what they're doing than what everyone else is. I get to see all sorts of crap driving so I have the advantage in knowing what to look out for I guess, dopey old duffers and women bashing into other cars/each other when reversing usually, they just don't look where they're going. That's not an ageist/sexist remark btw just my observations. Only recently one woman somehow drove into one of the trolley bays (has a metal bar around it) and bashed up the front of her car, broken glass everywhere from the smashed headlights, it's not that first time that has happened. And then there's the boy racer chav scumbags driving too fast in the car park with their boomy musak blaring out, they tend to be the ones that just come up to use the cash machine rather than to shop. They drive around like that even when it's the weekend and there's small kids around with their parents. Crazy :laugh:

...and breath....:tongue:

smeg

taxing said:
Your 'observations' are sexist. Women drivers have less accidents, that's why their insurance cost less. You can't see a woman have an accident, then generalise that to all women. Would you see a man have an accident and attribute that to the fact that he's a man? Doubt it.
Actually my observations are just that - observations. More women than men have had prangs in our car park, and not significantly so I might add, usually older drivers when it's the men. How is that sexist? I'm not speaking for all women drivers vs. men. Go back to hugging your trees and don't try and tell me what I do/don't see at my own workplace thank you, bloody idiot.

taxing

Your observations are sexist, if you're saying that you now watch out for all women drivers because some have had prangs in your car park. Feel free to re-read what you wrote because it was exactly that. How does pointing out that you're being rather sexist make me a tree hugger?! Being concerned about your rather dim view of 51% of the population has nothing to do with trees as far as I can see. Or am I a tree hugger because I ride a bike?

Top Bottom