Also off my bike for a while... I think... now definitely!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Stay as active as you possibly can, it all aids recovery. Good luck.

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Thanks everyone! Good to hear of other people's experience. I think if I hadn't been also recovering from quite a vicious virus (too many of those around this Spring, eh?) then I would have been out walking by now. I'm going out today with Mr G so will be a bit more active - the weather hasn't helped of course - and the great thing is I've mostly been sleeping really well (thank you Coco and Dicky, aka Co-codamol and Diclofenac!).

vickster

Legendary Member
Be careful not to get too dependent on the co-codamol :smile: And make sure you drink plenty to counteract the less desirable side effects of opioids if affected!

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Be careful not to get too dependent on the co-codamol :smile: And make sure you drink plenty to counteract the less desirable side effects of opioids if affected!
Thanks for the concern, it's appreciated - luckily I only need to take them at night and the drowsiness and "adverse effects" are enough for me not to want to take them at other times! - it's Dicky or paracetamol during the day. And astounding amounts of tea!

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't forget to eat with Dicky, biscuits, cake, even proper food if you have to ;) The stuff makes me feel sick and acidy even if I do, so still to ibuprofen or naproxen myself

My whole arm was aching like crazy last night, so I had to resort to coco too :sad: I tried doing a few physio type exercises which seemed to upset it more :sad:

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
Don't forget to eat with Dicky, biscuits, cake, even proper food if you have to ;) The stuff makes me feel sick and acidy even if I do, so still to ibuprofen or naproxen myself

My whole arm was aching like crazy last night, so I had to resort to coco too :sad: I tried doing a few physio type exercises which seemed to upset it more :sad:
Aw, sorry to hear that. I really hope your doc can come up with something.

Just been to the physio - he's very pleased and has said I should be on 3 Dickys a day, solidly for 3 weeks so as to reduce the inflammation. I had only been taking it when I felt like it but I am going to take one after every meal. He says this should reduce the need for Coco at night so that would be good. I agree about Dicky making you feel a bit dicky, but it is good stuff otherwise!

Mrs M

Guru
Just seen this :ohmy:
Hope you're feeling better and well on the mend :bicycle:

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
OK, weird thing @vickster. My doc says they have stopped prescribing Dicky... I am going in today to see what they will give me instead. Turns out it's been withdrawn as from January 15th: http://www.pharmaceutical-journal.c...nac-from-uk-pharmacy-shelves/20067579.article. Which is weird because the hospital said they were going to give me some, only I happened to have some already.

I'm actually quite glad as the risks are heart-related and I have a bit of an arrhythmia issue.

vickster

Legendary Member
All non steroidals like ibuprofen and naproxen have heart risks, not as high I believe as the COX2 variant. The was a big scandal and withdrawl from the market of Vioxx a number of years ago

See what the GP says, maybe stick with paracetamol and codeine. Your article says the OTC version has been withdrawn, but still available to prescribe looking at a drug book I have here. It doesn't list arrhythmia as a contraindication

I'm at the GP later too for my shoulder

OP
OP
Ganymede

Ganymede

Veteran
All non steroidals like ibuprofen and naproxen have heart risks, not as high I believe as the COX2 variant. The was a big scandal and withdrawl from the market of Vioxx a number of years ago

See what the GP says, maybe stick with paracetamol and codeine. Your article says the OTC version has been withdrawn, but still available to prescribe looking at a drug book I have here. It doesn't list arrhythmia as a contraindication

I'm at the GP later too for my shoulder
I've just got back - they tried to give me Naproxen but wanted me to take an extra medicine with it (Ompha something) to counteract the digestive effects. TBH the pain isn't so bad so I've said I'm not going there and will used Ibuprofen instead. My physio said it's a good idea to use an anti-inflammatory for a few weeks and it will mean less use of Coco. Then I can just stop!

Good luck with your appointment!

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds sensible if the ibuprofen works. My GP always says to take a 400mg one rather than 2x200mg, presumably more potent

Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor, reduces acid reflux. Better to take less pills if you can. I've never had an issue with naproxen, but I only take with meals (easier with the 2 x 500mg per day dose)

Cheers!

Top Bottom