Alternative to M&S Cycling Chino's For Commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The latest^ incarnation of GAP "not skinny"* fit chinos have a slight stretch to them so would do the job.

* used to be the classic fit, but may be called something else, but they fit my Hoy-esque thighs
^ latest in GAP outlet, who buys full price FFS.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I have to walk through a rather large office to get to the locker room etc, so need to be wearing suitable clothing..

Honest question, why? If it's that important then buy a sarong and do your walk of shame in style.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Quite a few of the M+S chinos are still good for cycling with clips: I think I've two pairs of the current ordinary ones, one of the Blue Harbour Coolmax and one of the ultralights.
The [edit] inside leg [/edit] seams on the Blue Harbour Coolmax trousers seem to have gone sharp and started chafing badly! The ultralights are OK but have started to go a bit shiny, the ordinaries have both been damaged by a rough saddle :sad:

As for smart/fashionable from other chains,Burton's recent offerings were comfortable but wore out in no time, while Debenhams don't seem to have had much suitable since discontinuing Steve Redgrave's Five-G.

C&A's Businessbroek (office trousers in the UK?) used to be pretty good smart-but-OK-for-active and fairly durable but I've not bought any recently, as C&A closed their UK stores around 2000 and still no-one seems to have moved into that space, possibly because it's not enough to sustain a chain here any more. Anyone know if they're still any good, or have they gone downhill in a race-to-bottom-price like other chains? If they're still OK or no-one knows, I might see if I can visit a branch when next in a country they're still in as the farkers won't deliver to EU countries they don't have shops for ("de C&A Online Shop levert alleen binnen Nederland en in de gebieden van het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden die binnen Europa zijn gelegen. C&A heeft echter ook een Online Shop voor Duitsland, Oostenrijk, Frankrijk, Polen, Spanje, Italië en België (zowel Nederlands- als Franstalig). U kunt uw bestelling ook plaatsen vanuit een van deze landen.")

Last edited:
I recommend uni qlo's ultra stretch skinny chinos. They are slim fit and tapered (if you can pull that look off) which means you don't need to worry about getting your trouser cuffs snagged or covered in chain oil. Still, dark colours are advised as wet weather inevitably leads to some splashes. I have a navy and black pair, these have been well suited to shorter rides. I've gone as far as 12 miles, but that was pushing comfort, however I expect this is more down to lack of padding for the sit bones than anything.

Top Bottom