Altura Boulder trousers - Anyone use them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Altura_Boulder_Trouser/5360031878/

I've got the 3/4 length shorts which I really like, but I'm after some trousers that I can cycle in and wear when I get to work (Bonj says cycling like a politician) but that is the way it is for me, I need to ride too & from work but then am also off site at times during the day. No leisurely shower for me when I get there - just a combat shower with a decent deodorant!

My only concern is that the pic on Wiggle makes them look massive, expecially around the lower leg - surely they can't be so loose fitting? The pic on the Zyro website makes them look less baggy but then you can't see a human wearing them! Also makes no mention of there being a padded liner or any padding over the seat area at all - anyone set me straight about this?

The other option I guess could be something like the Ground Effect Ranchsliders http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/product-detail-RAN-LON.htm and even though they cost more (website lists price @£58ish) those who use Ground Effect kit really seem to like it. Pluses for these would be the padded seat area, downside is they seem to have an adjustable waist, and I find unless I wear trousers with a belt then they always seem to slide down too much (I'm a bit Buddha shaped at the moment), plus at work I usually have to carry a bleep & mobile tel. somewhere, invariably on my belt.

Failing these anyone know of any other long trousers with all the necessaries for cycling - secure pockets, good cut, adjustable ankle cuffs, padded seat or liner, ideally must take a belt, and won't attract attention from management as being too overtly bikey!

I've tried outdoor type trousers (Craghopper, Reggatta, Rohan) and while they tick some boxes they simply don't have the right cut around the leg or waist/lower back to do the job effectively. Price wise they are also no much different to the Alturas, and Rohan really are not much cheaper than the Ground Effects.

Thoughts please - I don't mind spending the ££'s on them as they will really have to see me through a year of commuting & work as I can't drive for medical grounds until at least next june, maybe longer if at all.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan M

Ordered some of the Alturas. Reasons being that it will be easier to exchange if they are a poor fit than the GE stuff.

Ordered for £41 from www.bikesyoulike.co.uk , cheaper than Wiggle, will see if they are as efficient in terms of speed of delivery.

yenrod

I noticed the summer cruisers are just like ronhill tracksters in a way...but the former - more for cycling..

OP
OP
J

Jonathan M

yenrod said:
Jon - have you been to ThattoCycles - they've job lot of Altura gear at the moment - and its not bad..

Been in a couple of times recently, the website I've bought them from is Thattos online business, but I know that Paul tends to keep the online prices & shop prices different. Having said that I was in there this morning for some LED flashy lights for Josh's bike on the school run, and cost those at wholesale, so I suppose I should have asked or at least tried the Altura's on!!

Noticed that the 3/4's that I bought from Wiggle were cheaper on-line via Thatto though! Serves me right for not supporting my LBS!

OP
OP
J

Jonathan M

Well, in terms of service from www.bikesyoulike.co.uk I'm quite impressed. Ordered on friday night, website states no dispatches of orders on weekends or bank hols, so must have only shipped on Monday, arrived today.

In terms of kit I'm not sure Altura have sizing issues. The waterproof is fine, however the trousers have come up on the snug side, I ordered XL becuase the XXL 3/4's I got from Wiggle are defo too loose on the waist, similar to the problem that User describes with his Endura trousers. They are also a bit too bikey for work purposes, the stitching is in white/light grey, and the fabric is a bit rustly. Never mind, going to keep them, as the price was OK, and I've made an active decision that I can't realistically expect to wear cycle kit in work anyway - change of clothes and a combat shower for me!

BTW Altura really need to improve the quality of belts provided with their legwear, it is really (really) cheap lightweight nylon webbing that does not hold its shape whatsoever! Both the long & 3/4 Boulders have this problem.

Top Bottom