Altura Pro Gel shorts care?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
After many years, nearly all my shorts containing a real chamois crotch linining have now worn out and I have had to replace them with those containing a synthetic material. I had always washed my shorts in soap flakes and occasionally treated them with chamois cream, which I believe was mainly lanolin, which softened the goatskin.

The shorts I have now bought, came with no washing instructions or reference to keeping the pad soft. What would forum members recommend for washing and post wash care?

Last edited:
Keep using the soap flakes, wash at 30 degrees low spin speed, dry/drip dry in the air.
Pretty straightforward.
Wilco do a decent liquid soap for washing stuff.
Not sure by what you mean by post-wash care.

I just throw mine in the wash with everything else. No special treatment. Not sure what wifey uses - Persil I think.
Chamois, or whatever it is nowadays, hasn't suffered at all.

What do the washing instructions say?

Last edited:
I just throw mine in the wash with everything else. No special treatment. Not sure what wifey uses - Persil I think.
Chamois, or whatever it is nowadays, hasn't suffered at all.
I wouldn't put lycra and general cycling togs in with everything else at all - do a full wash of lycra stuff together.
I'd check what the wife is using - what that "persil" is - you need to use non bio stuff - many washing powders/liquids have stuff in them in that is bad for waterproof/water resistant/breathable stuff.

Oh dear. I fear I'm going to die.
you'll be fine, your kit won't be if washed in stuff with softeners though - and in your parts you need all the protection from rain you can get.
(tho maybe you don't use kit like that - I have no idea what sort of cycling you do)

vickster

Legendary Member
My cycling stuff goes in with other darks really, usually 40, non bio liquid, no fabric softener. Dry inside or out depending on weather

+1 for the Wilko liquid soap flakes. :okay:

I use the stuff for hand washing things I don't quite want to trust to the machine, such as sports bras. Otherwise Tesco's own brand non-bio powder in a quick wash cycle.

Post-wash care? None required with the synthetic stuff. It's wash-and-go pretty well much.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
All goes in the same wash with everything else and hang to dry. Been doing this for gawd know how many years. Its never a problem and have bibs that are near 10 years old looking just as good now as when bought.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If the shorts came with no care instructions, very surprising, check the manufacturer's website.

I wash my kit separately at 30⁰C and drip dry although I do have some kit which specifies low heat spin dry to reproof the garment. This has worked so far. If I need the kit the next day I'll put in an extra spin.

I have a couple of expensive winter jackets. If these get oil or lots of road splash I'll treat this by hand, sometimes using a citrus degreaser as a spot treatment, before machine washing. No issues to date.

I wear Assos shorts and never had a problem with pad care using the above methods.

As many have said already, I wash my cycling gear with everything else. Same soap, same everything, no special treatment.

Only difference (for now) is I don't put my cycling gear in the tumble dryer. But I may experiment with tumble drying some old stuff and see how they come out.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wouldn’t tumble dry anything made of lycra. It’s not necessary, cycling clothes dry well within 24 hours inside and very quickly outside

Top Bottom