Aluminium for £1300 (Felt, Giant, Cube, Canyon or Scott)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

leedh

Regular
Thank you all for your replies. I'll take a look at the carbon and Boardman options (gone totally off piste from my initial list but to go through all the choices as it's part of the fun).

As a fellow Leeds fan I would have been biased to SupersuperLeeds comments until he mentioned Ti - That's just a step too far for me.^_^

vickster

Legendary Member

Tin Pot

Guru
That's insane, £1500 for an alloy bike with 105.

105 group is £339 from Wiggle
Alu framesets are cheap £150-£350
So you're paying at least £811 for the wheel set and finishing.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's a top drawer alloy frame, triple butted, and probably every bit as nice or more as a low end plastic frame. But it is a lot of money for a frame made by Maxway in Taiwan, and I suspect the inflationary effect probably struck the moment the Bianchi decals were applied.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
That's insane, £1500 for an alloy bike with 105.

105 group is £339 from Wiggle
Alu framesets are cheap £150-£350
So you're paying at least £811 for the wheel set and finishing.
And marketing and branding...and someone to put it all together...and dealer margin and the postage :smile:

Joffey

Big Dosser
For the style of riding you describe I can't see the NEED for discs or why you would limit yourself to Aluminium, unless you just WANT a disc break bike. If you were to relax your want list you can pick up some super value bikes. If you are cycling round the Derbyshire Hills carbon may be the way forward.

I have three B'Twin bikes and can't fault them - maybe check these out:

Alloy, full Ultegra, rim brakes on Mavic Cosmics - £1,050 - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-720-af-road-bike-ultegra-id_8331274.html

Alloy, 105, rims but have direct mount brakes - might have to find one in store though - £600 - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/ultra-700-af-road-bike-105-id_8324331.html

Alloy, 105 with Btwin rim brakes which are decent (I have one of these bikes, stopping has never been a problem, even in the wet) - £650 - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-road-bike-grey-black-105-id_8377756.html

They also do a Tiagra Carbon bike at £800 which I don't know much about. Planet X do great deals on carbon rim bikes too.

I wouldn't be afraid of Carbon, I wouldn't discount rim brakes and I wouldn't be afraid of buying from an online retailer such as Canyon. Having descended some of Yorkshire's largest hills in damp conditions using rims (and I'm a heavy lad) a sensible rider will be safe without discs.

Consider the Btwins and treat yourself to a professional bike fit and some new clobber with your savings.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The top Btwin Ultegra is £1050 not 1500. Great value if you don't mind the name.

I'm delighted when folk diss the Btwin bikes because they're Decathlon. It means more high spec, really good value bikes there for me.

If you do the comparisons, the Btwin bikes come out about 20% cheaper than the equivalent specced alternative (Boardmans excepted, they are also great value).

Top Bottom