Aluminium forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I was told recently that aluminium forks work harden over time and should be replaced ever five years of so. Anyone care to confirm of refute this statement? Should I be thinking of getting news forks :biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Never heard that one.
*gross over-simplification alert*
Aluminium weakens if it's bent repeatedly, so alloy bits are made stiff enough so they don't bend. Your forks should last forever, but I'd replace them if you're in doubt or they've been crashed.

GrasB

Veteran
The forks will slowly work harden & fatigue over a long period, but they're so stiff, thus subject to very small amounts of stress, this work hardening should take several decades before they get to the replacement needed stage.

What I would be replacing every 5 years however is aluminium seat posts, especially if you have a lot of exposed seat post, & handlebars.

raindog

er.....
All aluminium age hardens - not just forks. It would be interesting to know what frame builders consider to be a "working life" for a frame or forks. My Vitus frame has a guarantee of 5 years and I know people round here who ride the old Sean Kelly type Vitus frames from the late 80s but sooner or later, strength wise, aluminium stuff is going to get a bit dodgy I should think.

jimboalee

Where forks break is at the steerer weld.

Get the wheel out.
Take the front brake out.
Get a short length of broomstick that is a 'press fit' in the steerer tube.
Drill a hole through it for the brake bolt.
Cut a screwdriver slot in the end.
Hammer it up the steerer tube.
Using the screwdriver slot and a chisel, rotate it so the hole lines up.
Put the front brake back in with the bolt going through the broomstick.
Put the wheel back in.

Now when the forks break free, the front end of the bike doesn't collapse.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
No I totally think it's right and you need to go out and get a set of carbon forks for your steed, in fact as it affects your whole bike then you need to treat yourself to a brand new bike ;) just don't tell the wife I said so (Oops forgot Telemarks is on here too DOH!)

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
kfinlay said:
No I totally think it's right and you need to go out and get a set of carbon forks for your steed, in fact as it affects your whole bike then you need to treat yourself to a brand new bike :becool: just don't tell the wife I said so (Oops forgot Telemarks is on here too DOH!)

:smile: You are spot-on, I was in the LBS with him when the topic came up and saw the wee cogs in his brain starting to move.
Sadly HJ can't come along here and say that his wife doesn't understand him and WHY he needs another bike ... :biggrin:
As long as I get my new go-faster first, I am happy for negotiations to be opened :rofl:

T

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Humm, some interesting replies there...

I like Kev's the best, unfortunately Telemark saw it before I did and she is now insisting that her new bike is top priority.

I was a wee bit sceptical about the five year claim. However, I have thought about changing to disc brakes and that would require a new fork...

Fortunately the seat post has been swapped for a carbon one, so I don't have to worry about that.

GrasB

Veteran
What about handle bars? I'll never forget sprinting like hell up hill & then the 'bars failing on me... thankfully they didn't go totally so I didn't go flying off somewhere but still with one side of the bars at about 30 degrees off vertical it kinda makes you wince a little bit.

Top Bottom