Am-Dram

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My eldest daughter (13) fancies a career on the stage and screen (as they all do) so rather than pay for expensive drama classes we are starting her off at the local am-dram. The youngest (9) also wanted to get invloved.

A few weeks ago, Mrs T took them along and I took them last week where they were reading through some new scripts in order to choose the next production. I was roped in to read a couple of parts.

This week the script had been decided on and we went through it as a full first reading with everyone there. I ended up getting one of the principle roles in this years Panto.

Eldest daughter is a bit annoyed as she and her sister are playing a number of supporting roles and she was hoping for heroine. Mrs T is doing back stage stuff.

Anyone have any tips for learning lines?

rvw

Guru
Have them around at any point where you are doing something mindless and repetitive - either on paper or on something like an mp3 player - e.g. while you are washing up/mowing the lawn/cleaning the car (I have found that 30mins on some boring gym machine is the perfect opportunity for this). You will soon find the words start to sink in!

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
My eldest daughter (13) fancies a career on the stage and screen (as they all do) so rather than pay for expensive drama classes we are starting her off at the local am-dram. The youngest (9) also wanted to get invloved.

A few weeks ago, Mrs T took them along and I took them last week where they were reading through some new scripts in order to choose the next production. I was roped in to read a couple of parts.

This week the script had been decided on and we went through it as a full first reading with everyone there. I ended up getting one of the principle roles in this years Panto.

Eldest daughter is a bit annoyed as she and her sister are playing a number of supporting roles and she was hoping for heroine. Mrs T is doing back stage stuff.

Anyone have any tips for learning lines?

There is an app I use, which I literally couldn't do it without: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/linelearner/id368070258?mt=8

But mainly repition and roping in family members!

I also find things like breaking teh action down into units of thought, first getting the "gist" of what I'm saying and then the actual words. Also, learning the other actor's lines in the scene is pretty essential too.

Don't send her to one on one drama classes, they're dear and they don't teach you about working with other actors and directors.

Local youth theatres and the National Youth Theatre are excellent places to be involved with and the NYT is very highly regarded by drama schools and is a good place to build contacts.

She should get to as many professional and non professional shows as possible and read as many plays as possible (both old and new) and get into Shakespeare - watch some GOOD Shakespeare films / stage productions - nothing more off putting than a guy in tights speaking in a bizarre and unnatural fashion that seems to have nothing to do with you in the here and now!

The other thing is to keep a firm grasp on who she is and why she is unique (she WILL need to learn how to speak in RP, BUT she will generally be employed because of her natural accent) - does she have any other skills that make her stand out? (Dancing, singing and musical instruments are REALLY useful, but then there are other skills that not a lot of people will have - puppetry, specific sports and other arts, acrobatics, etc etc) - These will be great things to make her employable so tell her to stick with anything else that she's good at too. I'm an actor and a good one, but I have made the most money from roles where they needed:
A) A pale, old fashioned-looking person
B) A cyclist

And mainly that if she doesn't get a role it doesn't mean she's bad, or that the director didn't like her, it's that she wasn't right for that particular role and there will be plenty more roles where that came from!

Best of British to both of you

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Dad turns up and takes the leading roll - bet you are in bother with the girls.

My two go to the local Theatre group - certainly a good confidence booster.

No tips from me, I can't act, dance or sing.

Ha ha, nothing changes.
Wifey was a bit am dram when I met her. I was asked to just read some lines until they cast a part but ducked out and got my flatmate to read. He ended up getting roped into the part.
Great if you like that sorth of thing though.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I used to do Am Dram. I turned up offering to build sets and props but was immediately put on stage as I had acting classes and could act.

I found that the best members were the ones who did their best in any role they got while the worst were the drama school kids who stropped if they didn't get leading roles.
As a small group the leading roles would only be given to those who attended every rehearsal and who didn't go off in a strop every now and again. Reliability counted for more then raw skill initially.

Learning lines is only part of it, and can be achieved by learning the scenes as a whole. I learnt the whole script, all the lines of every part, and then filtered out my own over time. It made me a good understudy and also allowed me to continue acting without prompts when other members were absent from rehearsals. I did all that on top of set and prop making in rehearsal nights.

It is worth really taking on the character as a whole and speaking the lines in character at all times. It makes it easier to bluff if a line is forgotten as you can then 'ad-lib' in character.

The director/producer should be treated as 'God' and respected as such. One of the most annoying things in rehearsals was members chatting and ignoring the director when others were attempting to rehearse. No one knows more about what the director wants and needs (for good or bad) then the director.

I loved it and would like to return when I am well again. I may well be building a set at the Lowry for my Am Dram group in the next year or so.

Good luck and have fun!

BaRdly InWigs

Hiya! A family member is a regular on this forum and sent me a link to here. Thought I'd hop on and offer some insider info. Congrats first off on treading the boards. It's a fantastic thing. And in my experience...the "smaller" roles always become massive when faced with a looming audience.
As for learning lines, the fastest route in my experience is to write them down. I even write down the other people's lines in the scene, only I'll change the writing style a little....(from neat to sloppy is usually enough for me). Then after that, you set about "trying to memorize" and you'll see how easy it is.
Second trick is to read your scenes just before you turn out the light to go to sleep. Doesn't matter if you're not taking it all in properly. As long as you read the sentences to yourself, and register in your mind that you've read them. Our brains compartmentalize and order all the chaos in our brains while we sleep. Sounds bonkers right? :smile: Try it...you'll be surprised. This is especially good for learning what comes when.
The tried and tested method is what we call "parrot fashion." Basically reading the lines over and over again until it sticks. It can feel like a marathon, but eventually you get there.
These three methods will have you happily muttering your lines to yourself all day in no time.
As a bonus: There is a way to learn your lines while improving your performance at the same time. And that is by physicalizing each word as you learn it. It's time consuming. A bit awkward. Private. Slightly embarrassing and confusing, and makes you feel a bit silly but it is the truest and most complete way of memorizing your lines. If your line is "Why would you say that to me?" Then physicalize the word "Why" using any movement or shape, with any parts of your body, that would mean something to you as a description of the word "Why" ...then do the same for "Would" etc etc etc do it a couple times for each word (each word taking about 6 seconds to do).... until saying the whole line makes you move in a mini dance. By the time you've done all your lines, you'll have an incredibly deep understanding of your text, and ta da all the lines memorized perfectly in record time.
Hope that helps. Break a leg!

OP
OP
T
Just to drag this back ...

Opening night tonight!!!!

I actually managed to remember all my lines at the final dress rehearsal last night.

If anyone in the area wants to come along, I think there are still tickets left

Details here

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just to drag this back ...

Opening night tonight!!!!

I actually managed to remember all my lines at the final dress rehearsal last night.

If anyone in the area wants to come along, I think there are still tickets left

Details here
Break a leg Touche!

My 13 y/o is in Panto in Oxford at the mo. It's great for kids ... big and small ;)

Night Train

Maker of Things
Break a leg!

I really hope you enjoy it and it all goes well. The opening night is usually the one where it all 'seems' to go wrong but there after it just gets better and better.:thumbsup:

Globalti

Legendary Member
A pint of strong coffee just before the performance might help improve your mental acuity.

Top Bottom