Am Dram

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Fnaar said:
What did you do for your audition? Did you go prepared, or did they say "go on then, do Norman Wisdom", then "Give us a few lines of Shylock". Just interested... fancy a go myself before I hit 50....
I hadn't made any plans except make sure my car keys were nice and clean:biggrin:.

I was given a quick interview alongside a 7 year old girl who was also auditioning. They asked her to sing and so she stood up and sang for them. Fortunately I had said that I don't sing well so they gave me a script to read, allowing me a few minutes to gather my thoughts and compose myself.
The part I was asked to read was the Fairy Godmother's lines in Cinderella.

Later on I had to join the rest of the group and we formed into groups of 5 or so for a workshop session. Each group had 15 minutes to prepare a short play of less then 5 minutes and then present it on stage to the others. I played a Father at home with two small children when his teenage daughter arrives with her boyfriend to announce she is pregnant. I then had to change from 'loving and proud, Father' to 'stunned by the news, Father' and then to 'gonna beat the crap out of the poor lad, Father'.

It was good fun. Got a few laughs being the mislead supportive Father thinking that their news was getting a flat or a house together before being told of the pregnancy. The audience then jumped when I suddenly jumped out of my chair and bellowed out: "What 'ave you done to my little girl? I'm gonna 'ave you out side!" before grabbing the poor lad and shoving off the stage towards the wings and sending the now screaming little ones off to their bed rooms.

It was a good range of emotional content, vocal range and presence and physical movements. Lots of the established actors were really surprised to hear that I hadn't done any acting for over 25 years so I think it was probably ok.

SamNichols

Wow, it sounds like a very professional set up, I have to say.
Most am dram stuff that i've ever seen has been overwhelmingly shoot. But, seemingly that was the exception rather than the norm.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
SamNichols said:
Wow, it sounds like a very professional set up, I have to say.
Most am dram stuff that i've ever seen has been overwhelmingly shoot. But, seemingly that was the exception rather than the norm.
They had loads of rules about adults working with children and they try really hard to be as professional as possible. The committee have over 300 years of acting between them and so they seem quite good. I was impressed enough to feel happy and nervous to be with them.
However, the secretary didn't know what a CRB check was when I said I had a current one and so was able to work with children and the vulnerable.

Top Bottom