Am I a grumpy old fart?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
To be fair (ish) the street was built in the early 50's before every self-gratification artist in the country had a 6ft wide suv so the street is quite narrow with no off road parking.
If all the twunts round parked their school buses on the road, no one would be able to drive along it. Luckily there are no disabled people here. Plenty of pram users though.

D

Deleted member 26715

Indeed Mr P. Why people thing it's either necessary or acceptable to park kn the footway is beyond me. Why the government don't simply ban it is also beyond me.
We live on a 60's estate, most people park with 2 wheels on the pavement if they didn't cars would not be able to go up all the cul-de-sacs but most & I reiterate most are reasonable & park in such a way that wheelchair users & pushchairs can pass without issue. Alternatively what should happen is that the road is widened, but that is never going to happen

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am not sure about the note or the sign before you speak to her personally. She could just view a sign as a red rag and an 'up yours pal'
How well do you know her? Could you invite her in for a cuppa....then explain the problem?
Our neighbour family has 5 cars. We have no pavement. They often park one of the cars in front of our fence. Its all quite legal but it still annoys me (no logic to that but it does).
Hope yours is resolved peacefully.

rugby bloke

Veteran
Yes you are ... but with good reason !

As has been said before, a quite friendly chat around your concerns that you might accidentally scratch your buz mobile might get her attention.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vantage

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Talking to people is "an issue" for me.
My mum once told me that when I talk, I sometimes have a tone which comes across as if I was giving someone a telling off or intimidating. I'm 5'5" with the physique of an anorexic amoeba.
I prefer "indirect" methods of communication in situations like this where I might need to get a point across.

Drago

Legendary Member
We live on a 60's estate, most people park with 2 wheels on the pavement if they didn't cars would not be able to go up all the cul-de-sacs but most & I reiterate most are reasonable & park in such a way that wheelchair users & pushchairs can pass without issue. Alternatively what should happen is that the road is widened, but that is never going to happen

I have no sympathy with them. If there ain't somewhere to store a car without inflicting it on society when it's not in use, then either don't have a car of live elsewhere. It's nothing more than self entitlement.

Whenever I've bought of rented a dwelling my first thought was "now, where will I store my car/motorbike?". For about a year when I was in the Army I owned a flat, and as I had nowhere to store a vehicle I went without one during that period. Aside from the genuinely disabled, any objections are simply excuses.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Talking to people is "an issue" for me.
My mum once told me that when I talk, I sometimes have a tone which comes across as if I was giving someone a telling off or intimidating. I'm 5'5" with the physique of an anorexic amoeba.
I prefer "indirect" methods of communication in situations like this where I might need to get a point across.

Then you are only going to escalate the situation into a war. It's amazing what can be achieved by a civilised face-to-face discussion. Catch her outside her house (her territory) and politely explain why it's causing you difficulty and why you are worried that her car might get scratched. I'd be willing to bet she will comply.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
you're not grumpy. Ask her one more time "would you mind not blocking the steps because it's hard to get by with my bike and I don't want to scratch your car". If symptoms persist, bloat your belly out and squeeze through proudly

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
If you can convince the council that access is an issue, they might be persuaded to paint one of those H's: |―|

D

Deleted member 26715

Then you are only going to escalate the situation into a war. It's amazing what can be achieved by a civilised face-to-face discussion. Catch her outside her house (her territory) and politely explain why it's causing you difficulty and why you are worried that her car might get scratched. I'd be willing to bet she will comply.
This is sage advice, I was just coming back to post exactly the same, even start the conversation with, "I hope you don't think I was being funny with the sign, but I hadn't seen you & I'm just concerned I may scratch your car when I'm trying to get my bike in/out, it would help if you could just park a yard forward, it would make it so much easier"

Top Bottom