Am I a grumpy old fart?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Talking to people is "an issue" for me.
My mum once told me that when I talk, I sometimes have a tone which comes across as if I was giving someone a telling off or intimidating. I'm 5'5" with the physique of an anorexic amoeba.
I prefer "indirect" methods of communication in situations like this where I might need to get a point across.
Grumpy old fart or bad tempered short arse...discuss :laugh:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This is sage advice, I was just coming back to post exactly the same, even start the conversation with, "I hope you don't think I was being funny with the sign, but I hadn't seen you & I'm just concerned I may scratch your car when I'm trying to get my bike in/out, it would help if you could just park a yard forward, it would make it so much easier"
Perfect. It would take an incredibly unreasonable person not to cave into an approach like that

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been exporting for over 35 years and a large part of my job consists of persuading people in all kinds of different countries and cultures to trust me and see my point of view, which is especially difficult when they don't trust anybody outside their own nation, state, tribe, religion or even family because they've been cheated and ripped off so many times. Time and time again I've seen misunderstandings resolved with a simple phone call or better, a face-to-face meeting. Nowadays it's less important to travel because communications are so cheap and easy but before cellphones became common you would often spend three working weeks seeing five customers a day, each of whom had a long list of issues and grievances to discuss, many of them unreasonable or imagined. Never underestimate other people's tendency to make assumptions about you and come to the wrong conclusion, then to be agreeably surprised when you sit down for a bit of pleasant conversation. In the case of a really bad dispute I'd be tempted to invite the other party round for a cuppa or something stronger, anything to avoid giving money to avaricious barsteward lawyers who will spin the issue out for months for their own benefit.

*Here endeth the epistle*

vickster

Legendary Member
Can't I be both? :tongue:
Sounds like you already are... :whistle:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
When it gets icy, Marathon Winters with their hard metal spikes can make a right mess of car paintwork even if accidental contact is made (DAMHIKT!). It would be kinder of this lady not to obstruct the steps or the pavement.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I've already stuck a sign to my fence post that says "Do Not Block Entrance". I've posted a note to her politely asking her not to park like this.
I'm getting really pissed off with her now as this keeps happening.
If it's just me coming or going it's not such an issue, but when I'm lugging my heavy as a small building bike up and down those bloody steps, her car parked like that causes some sucking in of my tummy to get me and the bike past.
Am I being unreasonable in my request or is this something you would report? Something I'm now considering.

View attachment 456426
Looks like driven up onto pavement too?. That really bugs me, an awful lot of motorists now mount the kerb without even thinking. I once almost got hit by an idiot doing this:cursing:. My late uncle was driving instructor and I was taught that driving onto pavements was strictly not permitted.

Top Bottom