Am I being profligate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frog

my eldest son, who's very skinny

Ahhhhhh! The old 'skinny kid' clause!

Well known medical fact. Skinny kids have hollow legs and can stow away twice as much as a normal kid.

At a guess I'd say you and your good lady left the table wishing there had been a little more ;)

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
Chuffy said:
Ah, but are you de-seeding, coring and skinning them?

No, I give them a whisk with a blender and eat the lot. Nowt goes to waste at Chateau Stevens. ;)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
This site claims to have 400 recipes.....

Interesting, but your observation, dear girl, that most of them are variations on chopped up cucumber in some sort of salad, is correct.

However, as the tomato is one of the fundamental ingredients in several of the great cuisines of the world, I find it easier to cope with an avalanche of tomatoes than I do with the current excess of cucumbers.

And buckets of raspberries are also never a problem. Morning, noon and night......yummmm..

Cab

A kilo isn't over the top. I'd be using that many per meal myself by now, if I hadn't lost all the plants on the plot to stem rot and blight ;) Down to just the plants in the garden, can't be picking as much as a quarter of a pound per day at the moment, on average.

bonj2

If I'm making a meal for myself I usually estimate about a pound of meat, or just less perhaps - but a good sized meal will have about a pound in it.
So if you're intending to eat as much vegetables as meat, that would mean you would need approx. 1.35 kilogrammes of vegetables if it's for three people, but that doesn't take into account any other vegetables you may or may not be having.

Cab

bonj said:
If I'm making a meal for myself I usually estimate about a pound of meat, or just less perhaps - but a good sized meal will have about a pound in it.
So if you're intending to eat as much vegetables as meat, that would mean you would need approx. 1.35 kilogrammes of vegetables if it's for three people, but that doesn't take into account any other vegetables you may or may not be having.

You what? A pound of meat? A pound? Per meal?

Blinking flip, I estimate between four and eight ounces for a meal for both of us together usually, if we're having meat.

barq

Arch said:
Did you see Jamie Oliver on Tuesday? He did lots of things with tomatoes - mostly involving lots of herbs and the word "bosh!". The clear iced consomme with vodka sounded very refreshing..

I wish I'd seen that. I've been experimenting with cherry tomatoes injected with vodka and Tabasco sauce (think bloody mary).

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Tim Bennet. said:
I don't mind being overwhelmed with tomatos as you can cook and freeze sauces, or sun dry them, etc.

But I've got a glut of cucumbers. Apart from making the slices even thicker in my sandwiches, can anyone think of another use for the three or four specimens of 12 inch green perfection that come of my glass house each day?

Some of my Cukes went yellow - so I Googled and found http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~bcohen/cucumbers/recipes/ . I've made one of the Pickles which turned out very nice even tho' I forgot to put the sugar in. I'm guessing I could add sugar to taste now anyway.

As for a glut of Tomatoes - I wish. All that rain we had last month brought on a major attack of blight. Not one of my outdoor tomato plants survived. Strangely tho' the potatoes were totally unaffected. I have about 4 tonato plants in the conservatory - just enough for a few salads.

papercorn2000

Strawberries - shite
Rasberries - crap
Herbs - utter pish (except for the rosemary)
Brassicas - doing well but can't remember if I planted sprouts or broccoli!
Salad leaves - great but a bit small
Onions - jury's out
Carrots - waste of time (again)

snorri

Legendary Member
papercorn2000 said:
Strawberries - shite
Rasberries - crap
Onions - jury's out

I don't mind you popping over the fence to help yourself to some of my garden produce, but would ask you not to report your findings to the whole wide world.;)

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
snorri;38320][QUOTE=papercorn2000 said:
Strawberries - shite
Rasberries - crap
Onions - jury's out

I don't mind you popping over the fence to help yourself to some of my garden produce, but would ask you not to report your findings to the whole wide world.;)[/QUOTE]

Wife - easily harvested :biggrin:

Top Bottom