Am I being profligate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris42

barq;37930][quote name= said:
Did you see Jamie Oliver on Tuesday? He did lots of things with tomatoes - mostly involving lots of herbs and the word "bosh!". The clear iced consomme with vodka sounded very refreshing..

I wish I'd seen that. I've been experimenting with cherry tomatoes injected with vodka and Tabasco sauce (think bloody mary).[/QUOTE]

What a great idea!
served with home made jelly vodka?

Keith Oates

Janner
Talking of Vodka, try getting some dried fruit, apricots or prunes, put them in a jar and cover with Vodka (or gin, or Brandy) and leave for at least 6 months, the results are delicious and Inebriating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melvil

Keith Oates said:
Talking of Vodka, try getting some dried fruit, apricots or prunes, put them in a jar and cover with Vodka (or gin, or Brandy) and leave for at least 6 months, the results are delicious and Inebriating !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aye, done that, seconded, leads to the experience of being 'Yummy Drunk' ;)

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Melvil;38394][quote name= said:

Aye, done that, seconded, leads to the experience of being 'Yummy Drunk' ;)[/QUOTE]

Is there a cucumber equivalent :biggrin: ?

You have till next year now to come up with a tomato equivalent :biggrin:

Keith Oates said:

Have you tried the Vodka Melon?

Carefully select the biggest watermelon you can find.

Make a small hole large enough to fit a funnel into.

Over the next day or three see how much vodka you can get the melon to soak up.

For the record I've managed 2.25 litres, but it was a large melon.

I'm afraid I was very, very drunk!!!!! ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cab;37884][QUOTE=bonj said:
If I'm making a meal for myself I usually estimate about a pound of meat, or just less perhaps - but a good sized meal will have about a pound in it.
So if you're intending to eat as much vegetables as meat, that would mean you would need approx. 1.35 kilogrammes of vegetables if it's for three people, but that doesn't take into account any other vegetables you may or may not be having.

You what? A pound of meat? A pound? Per meal?

Blinking flip, I estimate between four and eight ounces for a meal for both of us together usually, if we're having meat.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I reckon a pound of meat to be about 8 average sausages, or four quarterpounder burgers (obviously!). According to a flip through Delia last night, a pound of meat in a meal is enough to serve from 2 to 4 people. So I deduce one of the following:

bonj has got pounds mixed up with some other unit of weight, although I can't think which.

bonj doesn't know what he'd talking about, but couldn't resist sticking his comment in anyway.

bonj ought to called binge.

or

bonj is actaully a Bull Mastiff with an extraordinary talent for typing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
barq;37930][quote name= said:
Did you see Jamie Oliver on Tuesday? He did lots of things with tomatoes - mostly involving lots of herbs and the word "bosh!". The clear iced consomme with vodka sounded very refreshing..

I wish I'd seen that. I've been experimenting with cherry tomatoes injected with vodka and Tabasco sauce (think bloody mary).[/QUOTE]

C4 link is here, but I can't see the recipe off hand:

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/J/jamie-at-home/tomatoes.html

You might just be in time to download the episode using channel 4 on demand...

As far as I remember, he just pulped tomatoes and other stuff (and there of course, is the tricky bit, knowing the 'other stuff' - I think I remember garlic, vodka, maybe something with chilli like tabasco?), and let it drain through muslin overnight in the fridge, to get a clear juice, which was served iced with herbs and drizzle of olive oil floating in it. The juice was virtually colourless, so he left a slice of beetroot in it to colour it a delicate pink.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
[QUOTE38715][quote name="]If I'm making a meal for myself I usually estimate about a pound of meat, [/quote]

Don't be daft.

You don't cook for yourself much do you?[/QUOTE]

Unless his estimates are way out.

can you go a shade of red from too much tomatoes like you can allegedly go orange from carrot overdose?

Arch

Married to Night Train
trustysteed said:
can you go a shade of red from too much tomatoes like you can allegedly go orange from carrot overdose?

I don't think so - not sure there's so much carotene in tomatoes...

There's bound to be some side effect from overdoing the tomatoes though...

col

Legendary Member
An old friend i knew,sadly passed away,used to tell me,tomotoes agravate rhumatism,and had to avoid them.

bonj2

Cab said:

Blinking flip, I estimate between four and eight ounces for a meal for both of us together usually, if we're having meat.

What are you, a field mouse?
Consider if it was steak. A pound would be about a 4" by 8" by about 3/4" thick slab. That wouldn't be excessive would it? So why do you have less if you're having a casserole?

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj;39103][QUOTE=Cab;37884][QUOTE=bonj said:

Blinking flip, I estimate between four and eight ounces for a meal for both of us together usually, if we're having meat.

What are you, a field mouse?
Consider if it was steak. A pound would be about a 4" by 8" by about 3/4" thick slab. That wouldn't be excessive would it? So why do you have less if you're having a casserole?[/QUOTE]

Bonj. If you go to a restaurant, you're generally offered an 8 or 10 ounce steak I think? A pound is 16 oz. You mean you regularly eat 16oz of meat in a meal? Eight sausages? Four quarterpounder burgers?

Do you even know what a casserole is?

bonj2

Arch said:
Bonj. If you go to a restaurant, you're generally offered an 8 or 10 ounce steak I think? A pound is 16 oz. You mean you regularly eat 16oz of meat in a meal? Eight sausages? Four quarterpounder burgers?

Do you even know what a casserole is?
Not 8 sausages, that would be boring. Maybe 5 and a pack of bacon.
OK maybe a pound is a tad on the large side, often maybe more like 12 - 14 oz., probably only have a pound if I haven't got many vegetables in the drawer to have with it, or i'm feeling really hungry. ;)

Top Bottom