Am I being profligate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

You don't cook for yourself much do you?

Patrick Stevens said:
Unless his estimates are way out.

Or maybe he's starting to realise why he always has so much food left over every time he cooks for himself.

I don't always wolf a meal consisting of a pound of meat down in 5 minutes flat you know... that would be greedy - I will take my time over it and make an evening of it - might last half an hour or so.

bonj2

And here we have it again. Bonj having the fascinating ability to back-pedal and change his mind, while still being right.

No, I'm careful to maintain the fact that I'm right in that I do sometimes eat a meal of a pound of meat, but you seem to have taken that to mean every meal that I have three times a day has a pound of meat in it, which isn't the case. I do eat a pound, but that will be a big meal, when I'm really hungry.

Cab

bonj said:
What are you, a field mouse?
Consider if it was steak. A pound would be about a 4" by 8" by about 3/4" thick slab. That wouldn't be excessive would it? So why do you have less if you're having a casserole?

A good sized steak doesn't weigh a pound. The idea that steaks should be really big seems to come from the 'pile it high' culture in restaurants. I'd sooner eat a well matured but of sirloin weighing in at 6oz when you start cooking it but shrinking very little than one of the 16oz 'fat git' rump steaks you see in restaurants these days, starting off huge but shrivelling up to a tasteless cinder even when you order it blue.

A pound of meat is a hell of a lot.

Yesterday we had duck. Got a gorgeous duck on the market, did one duck breast with plum and ginger sauce, sliced thin and served with stir fried home grown vegetables in sesame-soy sauce with rice. Very good it was too, and a heck of a lot more balanced than a pound of critter for dinner.

Cab

bonj said:
If I'm making a meal for myself I usually estimate about a pound of meat, or just less perhaps

bonj said:
No, I'm careful to maintain the fact that I'm right in that I do sometimes eat a meal of a pound of meat, but you seem to have taken that to mean every meal that I have three times a day has a pound of meat in it, which isn't the case. I do eat a pound, but that will be a big meal, when I'm really hungry.

Which is it Bonj?

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
If I'm making a meal for myself I usually estimate about a pound of meat, or just less perhaps - but a good sized meal will have about a pound in it.

Now there you go. User and I both made the mistake of interpreting this to mean "I usually use about a pound of meat when I cook for myself", whereas it really meant "I sometimes use a pound, if I'm very hungry, otherwise I'll use about three quarters of a pound".

Three quarters of a pound of meat per person (12oz) is still a huge amount to be eating regularly, based on most cook books I've looked at. I think it explains bonj's lack of logic - all that meat's addled his brain.

Melvil

There should be a special word for that feeling you get when you eat too much meat - usually at barbeques. It's a funny 'heavy' sensation combined with the tiniest suggestion of gutrot. Strange.

Melvil said:
There should be a special word for that feeling you get when you eat too much meat - usually at barbeques. It's a funny 'heavy' sensation combined with the tiniest suggestion of gutrot. Strange.

gluttony?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Melvil said:

hmm, not confusing it with the feeling you get having drunk all that beer since mid afternoon before the food gets cooked are you?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Melvil said:
There should be a special word for that feeling you get when you eat too much meat - usually at barbeques.

There is. Gluttony!

It's a funny 'heavy' sensation combined with the tiniest suggestion of gutrot. Strange.

I think it's something to do with needing to digest the protein - like a lion or a boa constrictor, you need to have a nice long nap...

Arch

Married to Night Train
trustysteed;39157][quote name= said:
for that feeling you get when you eat too much meat - usually at barbeques. It's a funny 'heavy' sensation combined with the tiniest suggestion of gutrot. Strange.

gluttony?[/QUOTE]

Sorry trusty, cross-posting, you beat me to it![/B]

Arch said:
Sorry trusty, cross-posting, you beat me to it!

no worries, i'm surprised no-one picked up on that one quicker!

i hasten to add, i am a culprit of the 'must have one more meaty portion despite feeling sick already' mentality myself!

bonj2

Arch;39149][QUOTE=bonj said:
If I'm making a meal for myself I usually estimate about a pound of meat, or just less perhaps - but a good sized meal will have about a pound in it.

Now there you go. User and I both made the mistake of interpreting this to mean "I usually use about a pound of meat when I cook for myself", whereas it really meant "I sometimes use a pound, if I'm very hungry, otherwise I'll use about three quarters of a pound".

Three quarters of a pound of meat per person (12oz) is still a huge amount to be eating regularly, based on most cook books I've looked at. I think it explains bonj's lack of logic - all that meat's addled his brain.[/QUOTE]
Well, yes - that's right. Let's say "usually" implies, say, 80% of the time. So usually when I have a meal, I will either have a pound, OR just less (12oz say). So, say 40% of meals will have a pound in, 40% will have about 12oz or thereabouts in, and 20% will have less. That's a fairly accurate desctiption of what I do, and it fits my description which was "usually I have about a pound of meat or just less".
If you want it parenthesized in mathematical terms, it would be
USUALLY (I-have-about-a-pound OR I-have-just-less-than-a-pound).
Happy?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Guidelines found at random on Google:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2003/02/16273/17578

suggest that carbs should be a third of the diet and most of a main meal. Fruit and veg should be a further third. "Meat, fish and alternatives (e.g. eggs, nuts, pulses, soya products) and milk and dairy foods provide concentrated sources of essential nutrients. So, only moderate amounts need to be eaten"

So the meal divides into three parts (carbs, veg, meat) and if bonj eats a pound of meat, he also should be eating at least a pound of carbs and a pound of veg as well. That's a heck of a meal.

Does he ride a specially reinforced bike?

That's if he's eating a balanced diet. If he's eating that much meat to the exclusion of other food groups...

Top Bottom