Am I being profligate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At this time of year I run into over production of tomatoes, so I'm using them in every way possible. I was making a tomato sauce to go with pasta last night and I weighed the tomatoes first - over a kilo. Do people think this is excessive for a tomato sauce for just three people?

chris42

maybe a little?

monnet

Guru
I use a kilo of tomatoes when making soup for 6.

I'm off to the Tomatina in a couple of weeks, I can take a few off your hands if you want.

Ah, but are you de-seeding, coring and skinning them? If so, then no, it's not profligate at all. Also depends on how long you are simmering the sauce for, 'matoes being mostly water.

OP
OP
Cycling Naturalist
alecstilleyedye said:
depends on the three people. if it's billy bunter and the two fat ladies i'd say probably not.

nice long word, btw ;)

Er.....the three people were me, my eldest son, who's very skinny and my wife.

You can enquire of Arch as to whether my wife and I are fat or not :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
As far as I remember, Mrs S is perfectly slim....

Yes, alright, alright, as are you...

Did you see Jamie Oliver on Tuesday? He did lots of things with tomatoes - mostly involving lots of herbs and the word "bosh!". The clear iced consomme with vodka sounded very refreshing..

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I don't mind being overwhelmed with tomatos as you can cook and freeze sauces, or sun dry them, etc.

But I've got a glut of cucumbers. Apart from making the slices even thicker in my sandwiches, can anyone think of another use for the three or four specimens of 12 inch green perfection that come of my glass house each day?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Tim Bennet. said:
I don't mind being overwhelmed with tomatos as you can cook and freeze sauces, or sun dry them, etc.

But I've got a glut of cucumbers. Apart from making the slices even thicker in my sandwiches, can anyone think of another use for the three or four specimens of 12 inch green perfection that come of my glass house each day?

that's tantamount to solicitation ;):ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tim Bennet. said:

Google dear boy...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Fruits-and-Vegetables/Vegetables-A-M/Cucumber/ViewAll.aspx

This site claims to have 400 recipes - although I suspect a lot of them are variations on some sort of salad...

You'll just have to invite the entire general synod of the Church of England for a tea party...

Top Bottom