Am I being too niggly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackandblue

Was going to post this in Commuting but it probably sits better here.

We have a drying room in the changing rooms at work. Some people hang their shirts/suits there, but most hang their commuting clothes or other dirty laundry.

I hang my dirty work shirts there until I have enough to send off to the cleaners.

When I get the shirts back from the cleaners they come on hangers and have a plastic bag over them to protect them. The bag has a label on with my name on it.

I save these and hang the empty hanger (but with the plastic bag on it) in front of my dirty shirts. I then use the bag to wrap up my dirty shirts when I have enough to send off to the cleaners.

Regularly, someone takes the bag and hanger.

I appreciate that my behaviour is indicative of someone verging on OCD but that's just the way I am. :sad:

I also appreciate that it's not really a big deal that someone takes the bag with my name on it and I can live without the plastic bag if someone's need is so great that they must take it.

But it irks me a little why anyone would do it. There is such precision and regularity in the way I place the hanger with the bag in front of my shirts that I feel that it can't go unnoticed that it is done by me for a purpose (and that purpose is not to provide a hanger with plastic bag attached to whoever wants it).

It irks me only just enough to air my thoughts here, but not so much that I care to do anything more about it. But it's good to share. :biggrin:

I accept some might comment on this thread - to the extent they could be bothered - along the lines of "Get a life".

Arch

Married to Night Train
Um... Do your own washing instead of faffing about with cleaners?

If you want to save the hanger and bag, why not hang it behind the shirts, not in front? I suspect someone thinks 'here's a handy unwanted bag' when it's in front, but wouldn't rootle through to get it.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"There is such precision and regularity in the way I place the hanger with the bag in front of my shirts"

Um....

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

I used to take the shirts home but decided the £2.20 I spend on laundering each shirt was worth the time I save in not having to iron them at home and transport them to and from the office (I don't enjoy the creases in the shirt when I pack them in my rucksack and I don't enjoy driving into the office at the weekend to drop off a bulk load of shirts on hangers. Neither of these facts should surprise you given some of the things I say in my original post...)

I hang my shirts (and therefore the hanger and bag) behind my commuting clothes. I purposefully hang the hanger and bag in front of my shirts to protect them from getting dirty from my commuting clothes - only really relevant when I have been cycling in the rain. It is therefore not straightforward to access the hanger and bag. You would need to move my sweaty cycling gear out of the way.

As I said in my original post, I am prepared for ridicule over this thread.

I am however getting a bit of a complex from the regularity of Arch's replies to my threads which always seem like she is telling me off.

Anyway, I'm off to see my therapist now.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If B&b wants to have a laundry wash his shirts that part of the topic is off limits I say!

Arch don't be matron!:biggrin:

B&b, I know you said that posting this thread is as far as you're going to take the issue but my advice is to lie in wait for the miscreant and give him a good thrashing. That'll sort it.

It's all about standards.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Couldn't be the cleaners, could it?

They see the empty bag & think it must be rubbish? Similar nearly happened to me (I use an old shoe to "chock" the front wheel of my bike so it doesn't topple over. The cleaners thought the shoe was probably supposed to be in the bin, but did ask me about it first, fortunately.

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

rich p said:
It's all about standards.

I think this is the nub of it. It's the thin end of the wedge in my view. Perhaps you are right. I need to take a stand, lie in wait behind some carefully positioned dirty laundry/sweaty commuting gear and pounce. And if it is a cleaner, I'll pretend I had fallen asleep there and was awoken with a start.

Slim

Über Member
How about a cheap suit carrier (single layer of opaque plastic). Mine holds 5-6 shirts and is long enough to throw the dirty ones to the bottom without them making contact with the clean ones. FWIW - I launder/press my own shirts and bring them in to work using an Eagle Creek folder (suggested a while ago on this forum). They arrive with pretty minimal creases which drop out after a day or two hanging up.

HTH

Arch

Married to Night Train
Blackandblue said:
I am however getting a bit of a complex from the regularity of Arch's replies to my threads which always seem like she is telling me off.

Sorry, but you did invite comments of the 'get a life' variety, I did try and suggest a solution, and I'm not the only one who suggested washing your own shirts.

Oh, now, I've gone and done it again, haven't I?

I second the idea of leaving a little note on the bag. You could even get a little plaque made (of cardboard, or pyrographied wood maybe) with a loop to allow you to hang it over the hook of the hanger. Ooh, have it made of cedar, that'll keep the moths off too!

OP
OP
Blackandblue

Blackandblue

Arch said:
Sorry, but you did invite comments of the 'get a life' variety, I did try and suggest a solution, and I'm not the only one who suggested washing your own shirts.

Oh, now, I've gone and done it again, haven't I?

I second the idea of leaving a little note on the bag. You could even get a little plaque made (of cardboard, or pyrographied wood maybe) with a loop to allow you to hang it over the hook of the hanger. Ooh, have it made of cedar, that'll keep the moths off too![/QUOTE]

That's more like it!! :biggrin:

And I didn't expressly invite comments of the "get a life" - I said I was prepared for them. Although I accept that the post, of itself, was a kind of invitation.

And I'm only developing a complex because you always speak such sense.

£2.20 EACH for cleaning? Send them to me and I'll do them for less! Shirts keep their appearance better by folding in the manner of a new packaged shirt. They always seem to look limp when hung on a hanger.

Top Bottom