Am I being unreasonable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
She has accepted liability and I have Cycliq cameras front and rear on my bike so footage is available and shows the complete incident including her speaking afterwards saying she didn't see me, and apologising.
Currently waiting for British Cycling to ring me to start the process.
Thanks for the comments, I didn't think I was unreasonable and have tried to explain that the helmet will have to be replaced because of the impact - all i'm after is for everything to be the way it was prior to her pulling out on me.

Sounds like you have the perfect case. She is lucky that you have not discovered any injuries.

OP
OP
beetlejuice

beetlejuice

She was still ok with covering the repairs when I gave her an estimate for the parts - it's purely the replacement helmet where there's an issue.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like you're stuck with dealing with her insurance now. They always make a derisory offer first off, reject this and make sure you claim full compensation. Tell them you will engage legal representation if they don't meet your claim, that'll make them sit up.

OP
OP
beetlejuice

beetlejuice

Insurance company phone me back yesterday after submitting the footage to them. Offer made and accepted and very happy now.
Money paid straight to my bank today so all sorted. Bike has been fixed and new helmet looking tomorrow.
Should've just gone through the insurance in the first place - so easy but probably down to the fact I had footage as evidence.
Cheers all

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nice. Good result from insurer. About time they all stopped messing about. It at least saves you all the hassle and she will have a nice premium hike.

Reactions: mjr

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A lot of insurers will look to settle clear fault claims as quickly as possible - there is no benefit to them in delaying things.

Glad to hear you're sorted.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I assume the insurer is cock-a-hoop that you are not claiming for injury and bit your arm off to settle.

A bit of bruising or a scrape doesn't attract much compensation.

My extensive bruising and 4 broken ribs aren't part of the calculator when you have a broken spine. It's not taken account of despite them being more painful.

Reactions: mjr

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I think you are being quite reasonable ... but recent experience leads me to wonder whether a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I have been wronged by a motorist who ended getting off scot free. On that occasion the guy reversed around a corner into my stationary car and just didn't see me until it was too late. Like your lady, he at first apologised and offered to pay -but later on as I inspected the damage it became clear his offer was not enough to cover the repair costs. When it went through the insurers he lied through his teeth and said I had driven into the back of him (although he never made a claim on his own insurance). It was his word against mine. I had a witness, but his statement was not deemed sufficient for the insurers to proceed. They were simply not interested unless it was an open and shut case, and I ended up leaving the damage unrepaired. If you have an offer of sorts, it might be worth taking the money while it is still on the table. I don't trust insurers any more.

Top Bottom