Am I being unreasonable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

damj

Just I word on police involvement. Could change force to force, but last year I was in an accident involving another car. I was advised police only get involved if there has been injury or the road is blocked.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just I word on police involvement. Could change force to force, but last year I was in an accident involving another car. I was advised police only get involved if there has been injury or the road is blocked.

Depends. Major injury to me, road blocked. Ploice turned up, officer on scene said they'd prosecute. 6 weeks later, still in hospital, get told, "minor injury, no charges". Phone up, nope we won't speak to officer on scene, your insurance will sort it. Driver got away scott free.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Last accident I had driver knocked me off my bike, gave false details and left me injured at the side of the road - all witnessed.

Thames Valley Police decided that "a stern word" was sufficient punishment. They don't care and they don't pretend to care about cyclists.

OP doesn't mention police attendance at the scene so presumably not reported then
If you didn't give your details anyone with ‘reasonable grounds for requiring them,’ not the police.

2. If you’re in an accident
If you have an accident causing damage or injury you must give the following to anyone with ‘reasonable grounds for requiring them,’ for example an insurance company:

• your name and address
  • the vehicle registration number
You also need to give the owner’s name and address if the vehicle isn’t yours.

You must report the accident to the police within 24 hours if you don’t give your details at the time of the accident.

You must also report the accident to your insurance company, even if you’re not planning to make a claim.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Even if the police are not called to the incident, the motorist is obliged to report any incident resulting in damage or injury to the police within 24hrs. Failure to do so is an offence.

Not quite right Reg, and you're usually more precise with these things.

When the motorist hasn't provided his name and address to a person reasonably requiring it or, in the case of injury to a third party, fails to produce his certificate of insurance, he must report the collision as soon as is reasonably practicable and in any case within 24hrs.

Not quite right Reg, and you're usually more precise with these things.

When the motorist hasn't provided his name and address to a person reasonably requiring it or, in the case of injury to a third party, fails to produce his certificate of insurance, he must report the collision as soon as is reasonably practicable and in any case within 24hrs.
And this is how you learn that someone has you on ignore.

I was paraphrasing. How many motorists actually carry their certificate of insurance with them everyday?

How many people who have insurance even have a physical copy of it? My docs came in an email, which were then backed up but not physically.

Who's ignoring you?
I thought you said the same thing I did, but now I see you didn't.

fails to produce his certificate of insurance
Where's the source for that? The Government advice page I linked to just says you need to give your name and address, and your vehicle registration. No mention of insurance certificate (you are required to carry that in - at least parts of - the US, but not here)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I thought you said the same thing I did, but now I see you didn't.

No problem.

Where's the source for that? The Government advice page I linked to just says you need to give your name and address, and your vehicle registration. No mention of insurance certificate (you are required to carry that in - at least parts of - the US, but not here)

Advice pages are often less specific than the legislation they're referring to. If you have a read of Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act you'll see the extra detail I referred to.

Top Bottom