Am I Bonkers ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MLC

I have just started commuting by bike to a railway station which is 3 miles away. Nothing wrong with that I hear you all say but………

I live just around the corner from the Rail Station, literally I close my front door take a leisurely stroll and 4 -5 minutes later I am on the Platform ready to travel into Liverpool Street.

I do not get on the bike to go here oh no, I cycle 3 miles away to a station further up the line (i.e. away from my ultimate destination so I pass my home station on the way in and the way home)

In my defence my hours can be quite long and this is the only way I can get out on the bike during the week and I travel away because there are better roads for the even longer journey home!

Does anyone else undertake what is effectively a pointless commute just so as they can get out on the bike?

Jezston

Über Member
Sounds understandable. I usually get the train less than a mile from my flat from Nottingham station to Derby station, then ride 4 miles to work, however I've started riding back to Long Eaton station which is about half way between Derby and Nottingham to give me 14 miles just to get a bit more of a work out!

How far is your place of work from your destination station?

MLC said:
Does anyone else undertake what is effectively a pointless commute just so as they can get out on the bike?

I would have thought lots of people do.

My door-to-door direct root is 10-miles but through the winter I've been taking a 22-mile route in and 12-miles home. I'll probably up this a bit now spring is here.

More time on the bike, less traffic, less stop-start, more fun.

PBancroft

Let me get this straight...

You get a train at a different station, meaning that you get more enjoyment from being on your bike, an opportunity to enjoy the fresh air first thing in the morning and wind down after work as well as the exercise this brings you would otherwise miss out on.

Do you get a slightly cheaper fare too?

Either way, really doesn't seem all that 'pointless' to me.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Yes you are bonkers to a non-cyclist.

Like we're all bonkers to even think about commuting on a bike on the road.

But I don't think any cyclist sees you as bonkers.

I started bike commuting last year and spent weeks working out the shortest route. Now I voluntarily go the longer route as it takes me away from the busier roads, gets me more exercise and is slightly rural so more enjoyable.

ChrisKH

Guru
Sounds reasonable to me. It's when you take the bike on the train with you and get off three or four stops early and then the following Friday night you don't bother with the train but cycle all the way home that you know you're bonkers. :sad:

Where do you commute in from?

Ben M

It seems ridiculous to go to a stop that's further away, why not go in the other direction and get one that's closer to work?

OP
OP
M

MLC

I didn't think I would be thought of as mad on here funnily enough.

Chris H
I commute in from Rayleigh (my stop in the middle of the other two mentioned) to Liverpool St and about 2 or 3 times a week go to Hockley (further away from London) as opposed to Wickford (which is nearer London) if anyone knows it.

Ben M
That would make sense at would be very slighter cheaper but as regards going further away rather than closer in there are a few reasons. Hockley has ample bike parking which is under cover. I am guaranteed a choice of seat on the train, at Wickford it fills up and I can't get the prime spots. I know the roads around Hockley and the rides through Canewdon Gt. Stambridge are quite nice though not perfect. If I get off at wickford its Ok but its further to get anywhere nice and coming back into my town I have a couple of nasties to negotiate (Rettendon Turnpike or I'm up on the A129 London Rd) at the tail end of rush hour they ain't great. There is no difference in cost between Rayleigh & Southend on Sea so it doesn't cost me any more and its only and extra 4 or so minutes on the train. Like everything in life its a compromise

Jezston
Its about 35 miles via the A127 or A13 or about 70 miles cross country

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
MLC said:
Ben M
That would make sense at would be very slighter cheaper but as regards going further away rather than closer in there are a few reasons. Hockley has ample bike parking which is under cover. I am guaranteed a choice of seat on the train, at Wickford it fills up and I can't get the prime spots. I know the roads around Hockley and the rides through Canewdon Gt. Stambridge are quite nice though not perfect. If I get off at wickford its Ok but its further to get anywhere nice and coming back into my town I have a couple of nasties to negotiate (Rettendon Turnpike or I'm up on the A129 London Rd) at the tail end of rush hour they ain't great. There is no difference in cost between Rayleigh & Southend on Sea so it doesn't cost me any more and its only and extra 4 or so minutes on the train. Like everything in life its a compromise

I thought the same As Ben, but your reply makes it clearer. Sounds like a great plan and a good way to get regular excercise.

ChrisKH

Guru
Well if you ever feel the desire to ride home from Liverpool Street let me know as I'm a stone's throw away in Benfleet and am always looking for an excuse for a long run home from the City. It's not too bad a ride if you go via Ilford, Barking, Romford/Upminster and perfect at the end of the week in the summer.

Distance takes a bit of getting used to, but it's perfectly achievable once you have a few longer rides under your belt.

Sailorchick

My husband does exactly the same. He can have a 5 min walk to the closest station or he can ride 5.5 miles to the next station. He rides as he wants the exercise and it saves £50 a month in train fares for him.

MLC said:
I have just started commuting by bike to a railway station which is 3 miles away. Nothing wrong with that I hear you all say but………

I live just around the corner from the Rail Station, literally I close my front door take a leisurely stroll and 4 -5 minutes later I am on the Platform ready to travel into Liverpool Street.

I do not get on the bike to go here oh no, I cycle 3 miles away to a station further up the line (i.e. away from my ultimate destination so I pass my home station on the way in and the way home)

In my defence my hours can be quite long and this is the only way I can get out on the bike during the week and I travel away because there are better roads for the even longer journey home!

I your Bonkers then im a raving looney:wacko:

My workplace is 3 miles from my house, but I commute netween 14 and 30 miles (depending on how I feel).
Its never pointless and always enjoyable:becool:

OP
OP
M

MLC

ChrisKH said:
Well if you ever feel the desire to ride home from Liverpool Street let me know as I'm a stone's throw away in Benfleet and am always looking for an excuse for a long run home from the City. It's not too bad a ride if you go via Ilford, Barking, Romford/Upminster and perfect at the end of the week in the summer.

Distance takes a bit of getting used to, but it's perfectly achievable once you have a few longer rides under your belt.

Chris,

May take you up on that one day distance wise I'll be OK (pace at which the distance is ridden is another question i'm fine at 18-20 for about 10-15 miles then I pop).
I do 40-50 CTC miles more or less every Sunday albeit with a stop for cake in between

But how do you get your bike up there I have a commuter for the station and a Secteur Sport for the weekend or do you ride in as well !

Debian

Moodyman said:

I started bike commuting last year and spent weeks working out the shortest route. Now I voluntarily go the longer route as it takes me away from the busier roads, gets me more exercise and is slightly rural so more enjoyable.

+1

At first, the thought of cycle commuting was a little terrifying and like you I spent ages plotting the shortest route. Now it seems way too short, especially with the nicer weather arriving.

ChrisKH

Guru
MLC said:
Chris,

May take you up on that one day distance wise I'll be OK (pace at which the distance is ridden is another question i'm fine at 18-20 for about 10-15 miles then I pop).
I do 40-50 CTC miles more or less every Sunday albeit with a stop for cake in between

But how do you get your bike up there I have a commuter for the station and a Secteur Sport for the weekend or do you ride in as well !

Well that's 40-50 miles more than me at the moment! I've got a couple of folders for commuting but if I am doing the home stretch I put the roadbike on the train (Fenchurch St line) at some ungodly hour when they let you take full sized bikes in the morning (6.20 am from memory). And you'll be lucky to see me doing 20 mph unless I'm sprinting.........:laugh:

Top Bottom