Am I missing something, why doesn't anybody stock anything I want to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Why is it that in the world of cycling I find that if there is anything that I want to purchase that nobody actually stocks it. Been trying to find someone who stocks either the Fizik Cyrano Bull R3 handlebar or the 3T Ergonova Pro but apart from Chevin cycles (over an hours drive) who have a 46cm version of the 3T no one stocks either - I know that everyone cant stock everything but you would think that one shop would keep a range in. There is no wonder that people are turning to the internet rather than their LBS - JeJames said they could get one in for me but It'd have to come from suppliers so it would be quicker for me to just order one from chain reaction or wiggle, I'd rather support my LBS but want one now. Ok rant over lol. On a side note has anyone used Shopto.net for some reason they are far cheaper for the Fizik but I've never heard of them and it looks like they mostly sell video games.

Easy, maths.

Say there are 10 manufactures of road bars, they all offer 10 variations and in 4 widths. We'll average 50UKP per bar, that's an outlay of 20,000UKP your LBS will have to commit to make a 50UKP sale to you. Are next year all the manufactures update their products. Bike shops have never stoked everything, not even Chain Reaction stocks everything. We're just accustomed to the convenience of finding everything on the web somewhere.

Davos87

Guru
I often find it frustrating if you want to purchase a cycling jacket for instance. You do your research and come up with your top choice. The actual logistics of getting to buy it can be quite difficult. Evans, Tredz etc usually have the colour you want but not your size or the size you need bit not your colour. There has been a few times when I have had to compromise and not bought the exact garment I initially set out to purchase.

OP
OP
LimeBurn

LimeBurn

Über Member
Completely agree - if I want something for my camera, new lens, accessory etc then I know I can 99% guarantee that I can walk into the local camera shop and just buy it off the shelf so why not with cycling stuff its not that its not very popular at the minute or that theres a lack of bike shops in sheffield or the surrounding area and I dont think I'm asking for anything out of the ordinary to be honest.

OP
OP
LimeBurn

LimeBurn

Über Member
Easy, maths.

Say there are 10 manufactures of road bars, they all offer 10 variations and in 4 widths. We'll average 50UKP per bar, that's an outlay of 20,000UKP your LBS will have to commit to make a 50UKP sale to you. Are next year all the manufactures update their products. Bike shops have never stoked everything, not even Chain Reaction stocks everything. We're just accustomed to the convenience of finding everything on the web somewhere.
Like I said I dont expect them to carry everything in stock - just a variety. If I wanted Deda or Bontrager I think I wouldn't have a problem with the responses I got when I phoned around earlier, every body and there dog wanted to sell me a Deda zero.

Like I said I dont expect them to carry everything in stock - just a variety. If I wanted Deda or Bontrager I think I wouldn't have a problem with the responses I got when I phoned around earlier, every body and there dog wanted to sell me a Deda zero.
That's because all the bike shop managers went to the same trade show and thought Deda was the way to go this year, or the UK Deda dealer flooded the market with some cheap stock.

My LBS has a practice of working with customers like me in finding deals on the web or just being able to get the particular item i need in a few days. They've figured they can't beat online stores for price, but they can beat online stores for service.

oldroadman

Veteran
Most LBS are small businesses. You don't expect to go into the local newsagent and get every paper from all over Europe. A stock investment of £20k plus on a few accessories, simply to have range which they may take years to sell. Never going to happen. Real world economics and all that.

classic33

Leg End Member
Completely agree - if I want something for my camera, new lens, accessory etc then I know I can 99% guarantee that I can walk into the local camera shop and just buy it off the shelf so why not with cycling stuff its not that its not very popular at the minute or that theres a lack of bike shops in sheffield or the surrounding area and I dont think I'm asking for anything out of the ordinary to be honest.
The number of camera manufacturers is dropping. Go back a few years, more manufacturers.
However within those you'd different systems, from the same manufacturer, that wouldn't work together. Also as many third party manufacturers making parts.

Would you be happy with a third partys' piece on your bike, when you wanted the branded item?

Ganymede

Veteran
I often find it frustrating if you want to purchase a cycling jacket for instance. You do your research and come up with your top choice. The actual logistics of getting to buy it can be quite difficult. Evans, Tredz etc usually have the colour you want but not your size or the size you need bit not your colour. There has been a few times when I have had to compromise and not bought the exact garment I initially set out to purchase.
Evans I know will order it in for you - if your shop is nearby then it's worth it.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Why is it that in the world of cycling I find that if there is anything that I want to purchase that nobody actually stocks it. Been trying to find someone who stocks either the Fizik Cyrano Bull R3 handlebar or the 3T Ergonova Pro but apart from Chevin cycles (over an hours drive) who have a 46cm version of the 3T no one stocks either - I know that everyone cant stock everything but you would think that one shop would keep a range in. There is no wonder that people are turning to the internet rather than their LBS - JeJames said they could get one in for me but It'd have to come from suppliers so it would be quicker for me to just order one from chain reaction or wiggle, I'd rather support my LBS but want one now. Ok rant over lol. On a side note has anyone used Shopto.net for some reason they are far cheaper for the Fizik but I've never heard of them and it looks like they mostly sell video games.

I'm the same, but not just with cycling things.

I am the one who always has to have to get things specially ordered, and it REALLY gets on my t*ts!!

I'm the same, but not just with cycling things.

I am the one who always has to have to get things specially ordered, and it REALLY gets on my t*ts!!

On the (admittedly minor) upside, it makes you a discerning customer as only people who really want the things you buy are going to have them. None of these casual purchaser types will have identical kit to you since they can't buy the things which aren't in stock :whistle: This may or may not be a good thing; depends on your perspective!

Learnincurve

If you know chesterfield then the old motorbike shop CMC near chesterfield royal hospital is a bike shop now. Went in there yesterday to see if they could fit suicide levers and they got the book out and charged me cost price for them in advance. (I'm getting them to fit them for extra), he could have had the parts in for Tuesday The number is 01246 234000 if you want to try them.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
On the (admittedly minor) upside, it makes you a discerning customer as only people who really want the things you buy are going to have them. None of these casual purchaser types will have identical kit to you since they can't buy the things which aren't in stock :whistle: This may or may not be a good thing; depends on your perspective!

Well, yes, who wants to be dead common anyway? :giggle:

Top Bottom