Am I over-reacting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
A rare beast on the Commuting section. A close pass which was actually a close pass!

We all get cross from time to time. I didn't see that as an over-reaction. I'm with 400bhp and others on horns. I think them silly and more likely to escalate than solve a situation. Each to their own; I know that many are in favour.

Whether you over-reacted or not, the main thing for me is that you are asking yourself whether you did. That suggests a thoughtful road user.

I dislike little on our roads, but I am wary of those multi-lane roundabouts that channel you into one or another lane. Motorists who feel they can safely take these things at speed may feel frustrated being behind a cyclist in one of the 'middle' lanes. The cyclist has to be there, but some motorists are inclined to assume a 'me first' Mr Toad mindset. So are some cyclists - witness the jockeying at Central-London red lights.

There were parts of my old commute that made me a little nervous. The section in the OP's video would give me the jitters at times.

Lookjs to me like a punishment pass as there was no reason to come so close to you. Your punishment must have been for riding sensibly across a fairly hurrendous roundabout.

Guy was a nobber (seems to be the choice phrase of this forum). Only you could really know how close/scarey it was but it looked pretty bad to me.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
That was either deliberately or recklessly close, neither is welcome. I know there are critics of the airzound but they are (as Mikey says) useful instruments. The important thing is to use the airzound properly as a warning not as a rebuke, that's what pìsses some drivers off.

GC

I really don't like that roundabout, even in a car. To many drivers think they're on the motorway already.

But that was particularly crap driving. No reason for it at all, despite the low sun. Just an average wazzock.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Driver was giving you a punishemt for being in primary because you do not pay road tax = driver nobber

Love the way you speed up after the hand up, I always do that after something like that 99.9% on the roads I commute I can never catch them! The only time I have hit my max HR was a vain attempt at catching someone who had been bullying me with their bit of metal though a pinch point and then hurled abuse as they passed

MaxInc

I would be interested to hear what could you do as a cyclist to avoid or at least minimise the risk of such events from occuring in the future, assuming that distracted and careless drivers will always be part of motor traffic. Apart from the obvious "avoid dual carriage ways", would better positioning would have helped, hand signals, slower / faster speed or something else?

Top Bottom