Am I the only person who calls a top tube the crossbar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
My mum used to smoke Park Drive tipped. Its a CROGGIE not a Coggie. It is still a crossbar as far as I am concerned and a road bike is a racer, even if you never race on it.

But when we were kids racing bikes were not made of super duper light carbon, they were made to last. Many of them are still around and being used today.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe they were the good times ^_^

Ahh nostalgia. It ain't what it used to be.^_^

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
croggie??? we used to call it a backie lol
I think that was something else.:whistle:

gbb

Legendary Member
Its an age thing i think...
I just posted about my new bike and was trying to convey the taper on the crossbar....ooer i thought, that doesnt look right on a modern bike...ok, the taper on the toptube. Yup, that looks better, but i had to think about it.

D

Deleted member 1258

When I was a lad I had never heard of calling it a top tube, though I'm sure that even back then it was the "correct" term. Everybody I knew called it a crossbar but then again everybody used to call road bikes racers. I still think that "racer" is a better and more accurate word for a road bike. There are a lot of different types of bike out there and a lot of them are primarily for use on the roads so the distinction can be lost. The term "racer" though is quite specific in it's description and distinct from a touring bike or other types.

You sound like you're my age, I've always called it a crossbar, but I was cycling in the 50's and 60's.

HovR

Über Member
But when we were kids racing bikes were not made of super duper light carbon, they were made to last. Many of them are still around and being used today.

I'm using a late 70's/early 80's Dawes racer, and it goes as good as new. It would be interesting to see how well the average carbon bike survives 30+ years of road riding!

And yep, I always called it a cross bar until I joined CC.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I used to wear a vest. Now I wear a base layer.

:becool: I is well cool.:becool:

Paul J

+1 crossbar and a racer was a bike that had drop handlebars. Anyone remember the multi-coloured nylon brush that you used to put around your wheel hub to keep it clean, mine was red, blue and yellow.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
[quote="Paul J, post: 1774785, member: 20257Anyone remember the multi-coloured nylon brush that you used to put around your wheel hub to keep it clean, mine was red, blue and yellow.[/quote]
We used a leather strap.
I used to wear a base layer, now I wear a compression top.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Looking a bit cross there, top tube.:tongue:
Sorry old chap, no offense meant. "Top Tube" is a fine phrase for a username and indeed a crossbar. Really I am just checking the water to see whether or not I will be treated with disdain and contempt if I continue to use the terms I have always used and what if anything people will assume about me. So far I'm quite encouraged. It seems that as with o much else in life the only people who would disaprove are probably not worth getting bothered about.

Top Bottom