Am I the only person who calls a top tube the crossbar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
When I was a lad I had never heard of calling it a top tube, though I'm sure that even back then it was the "correct" term. Everybody I knew called it a crossbar but then again everybody used to call road bikes racers. I still think that "racer" is a better and more accurate word for a road bike. There are a lot of different types of bike out there and a lot of them are primarily for use on the roads so the distinction can be lost. The term "racer" though is quite specific in it's description and distinct from a touring bike or other types.

tyred

Legendary Member
I only ever heard it called crossbar until I started to read web forums.

As for road bike, below is a picture of one of my road bikes. Well, it was designed to be used on the road, so by definition, it is a "road" bike!

5241161338_1f1669e199.jpg
White Park Bay, Causeway Coastal Route by braveheart1979, on Flickr

Edit: That' s better:smile:

Attachments

• 5241161338_1f1669e199.jpg
    5241161338_1f1669e199.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 45

Speedywheelsjeans

Used to be the crossbar with me. I used to stand on it while going downhill on my bmx as a lad... wouldnt try it again now im older and wiser

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Cycling's full of odd terminology, some of it semi-humorous slang: eg, 'block' for sprocket cluster and freewheel - now superseded by 'cassette'. Then there are stays, brackets, bridges, tubs, wire-ons, braze-ons, lugs, stems, extensions, drop-outs, rings, clangers, mechs, hoods, changers, irons, barrels, etc. There are oddities: a roadster is not remotely like a road bike. Terminology changes - "wheel-sucking" as a term seems to be falling out of fashion.

Crossbar is likely to be used less by those who are conscious of the amount they paid to own a bike with the thinnest, lightest top-tube. They are also much less likely to give even their loved one a lift on it.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
My mum used to smoke Park Drive tipped. Its a CROGGIE not a Coggie. It is still a crossbar as far as I am concerned and a road bike is a racer, even if you never race on it.

But when we were kids racing bikes were not made of super duper light carbon, they were made to last. Many of them are still around and being used today.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe they were the good times ^_^

Edge705

Cross bar when I was a kid was the handle bars:blush: and the top tube ! Well I never really learnt that terminology until I joined a cycling club in fact when I started cycling as an adult I had no idea about bike sizing gear ratios or anyhting else to do with the right fitting it was only when I joined a club these were pointed out

What's a top tube?

here

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Takes me back to the days when you could buy the Dandy, a Sherbet Dab and 5 Woodbine and still get change from a 1/-.:sad:

:biggrin:
I'm not quite that old. It was more the era of Whizzer and Chips, single sold benson and hedges (8p) and tiny aliminium mudguards. You can still get sherbet dabs I think. Oh and a pint of milk was 15p.

Top Bottom