Am I the only person who calls a top tube the crossbar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
[quote="Paul J, post: 1774785, member: 20257Anyone remember the multi-coloured nylon brush that you used to put around your wheel hub to keep it clean, mine was red, blue and yellow.
We used a leather strap.
I used to wear a base layer, now I wear a compression top.[/quote]
It only recently occured to me that the bit of leather around the hub was to keep it clean.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Actually, I :becool: never used a leather strap - it was very uncool. My dad did though.

GBC

Veteran
I'm using a late 70's/early 80's Dawes racer, and it goes as good as new. It would be interesting to see how well the average carbon bike survives 30+ years of road riding!

And yep, I always called it a cross bar until I joined CC.
Mine is a Triumph Team Leader (racer with crossbar) from the same era, which I use for 30 - 50 mile runs at the weekends,and it's probably holding up better that it's rider. I did replace the original saddle recently, though it could be argued that that was long overdue.
Plaited string for the hub though, times were tough when I was a boy.

Mods!! They're using the wrong terminology!!!!

It's Road Bike. Touring bikes, Time trial and Triathlon bikes, Audax and Randonneurs are all derivatives.

And as for crossbar!? It's not a bar, its a tube (unless you're still living in the 1890s).

'Clanger' is acceptable.

- and if you use it for racing it's a Race Bike.

But.....This is used for racing:

974_large.jpg

So where does that leave us?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
That's fine - that is a race bike, if used for racing, as is a road bike if used for racing. But a race bike is not referred to as a racing bike by those who race upon it :tired:

Top Bottom