Am I too old to switch from Android to Apple (for mobile photography)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
Add in that App data is only backed up if you set it up that way 5gb will work just fine for many.
It works for a grand total of none of my family.
You obviously have a family that don't use their devices much. My family would eat that 50Gb very quickly indeed.

icowden

Veteran
They will be more select in the photos they kept. The problem of digital photography is that every crap photo you’ve taken is still kept, there’s no filter like there used to be.

This i do agree with. The problem with not having to pay money every time you want 36 photos developed is that you take a *lot* of photos.

icowden

Veteran
For the best of both worlds, take loads of digital photos, but afterwards go through them and delete all but the good ones that you really will want to look at in years to come?
Yep. Do you know just *how* often I have said to myself that I am going to go through these photos and videos and do some pruning...

midlife

Guru
It's a long thread.... but is the upshot that iphones take better pictures than say android like Pixel 6-7 ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Wouldn’t a cheap phone and a good digital camera be better (and cheaper?) if actually a photographer rather than a smart phone snapper?

Alex321

Veteran
They will be more select in the photos they kept. The problem of digital photography is that every crap photo you’ve taken is still kept, there’s no filter like there used to be.

It's not so much that photos weren't kept, it is more the fact that you only had 36 (or fewer) photos on a roll of film, and other than professional photographers, wouldn't normally expect to go through a roll in a day.

So you just took WAY fewer photos than most people do with digital.

Alex321

Veteran
It's a long thread.... but is the upshot that iphones take better pictures than say android like Pixel 6-7 ?

I don't think so.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's not so much that photos weren't kept, it is more the fact that you only had 36 (or fewer) photos on a roll of film, and other than professional photographers, wouldn't normally expect to go through a roll in a day.

So you just took WAY fewer photos than most people do with digital.

But you also didn’t keep the duffs, or indeed take them to start.

icowden

Veteran
Yes. The OP was looking at reviews and the iphone 11 pro was coming out better than the Huawei P30 Pro hence consideration of swapping.
The Pixel 6 was the 11's main opposition camera wise and again outscored it.

Personally I'd give up with Huawei but stay with the android OS and go Pixel.

midlife

Guru
Yes. The OP was looking at reviews and the iphone 11 pro was coming out better than the Huawei P30 Pro hence consideration of swapping.
The Pixel 6 was the 11's main opposition camera wise and again outscored it.

Personally I'd give up with Huawei but stay with the android OS and go Pixel.

Thanks, I’ve used apple phones and so do most at work. My daughters Pixel 6 and wife’s 5a seem to take better photos but that’s just my subjective view.

Wouldn’t a cheap phone and a good digital camera be better (and cheaper?) if actually a photographer rather than a smart phone snapper?
Used that approach for many years. With iphone 12 onwards and the introduction of night photography, you don't need another camera. Technically photos cameras across the brands have advanced significantly with the use of algorithms to overcome limitations of lens etc.

Plus you don't have to import / export or even edit with a separate program. You can edit on the phone on the spot - crop, exposure, saturation etc to a high quality. And you can immediately send out the photos to friends, family and social media within seconds of taking a photo.

Also you don't need to set a specific time later to curate your photos - delete, assemble into albums, create shared albums for distribution to the family etc. You can do it shortly after snapping at an event or occasion. That saves space, clutter and more importantly you can organise while fresh in the mind. I do mine at a cafe or on the train back etc. You also have 30 days to recover deleted photos with the same phone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member

I think there are lots of good phones out there that all take pictures far better than most of us need. FWIW, I decided to at least try out the iPhone for two main reasons: one, all phones give 'true' renditions of colour - but I'm led to understand that Apple are 'truer' than most (and certainly my experience with the - very highly rated - Huawei P30 pro suggests to me that it's worth at least exploring options); second, because I was always bugged by the Huawei's abrupt lurches in white balance, when moving from one sensor+lens combo to another.

1670324242515.png

Same flowers, same conditions, taken within seconds. Both flowers are pink (they were), all leaves are green (they were) - but what a difference! And apparently iPhones are much, much better at delivering consistency throughout the range.

The Huawei was clearly put together without compromise to spearhead its attempt at the 'serious/top end' market, and is excellent - and I will miss its 'super-macro' setting...

1670324774227.png

...along with its ability to take genuinely worthwhile 50x zoom pics...

1670325034402.png

...but ultimately it's mainly about the colour - for me at least - which is why I've decided to at least have a go with Apple.

Supposed to be coming today! Ooh! (But I don't get to actually play with it till the 25th. :angry: Call me old skool.)

Top Bottom