Am I TT ready ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kablinsky

Close but no cigar. Southend Wheelers is actually my local club but I'm hooking up with the Essex Roads club. They TT over at East Hanningfield. I'm booked in. . . . now I feel a bit sick. vomit.gif

MLC said:
Shot in the dark but you are not doing the Southend Wheelers one are you ????

darkstar

I've never trained for a TT but the other night i decided to see how fast i'd ride 10 miles around this flat route in liverpool (it's seriously flat) I was pretty gutted when i finished to see an average speed of 18.9mph. I didn't go down on the drops once though which may have made a difference. Still, looks like a long way to go! I'd like to enter the BUCS 10 mile TT next year and post a time which won't embarrass myself!

Will1985

Über Member
It's at Oxford next year on the H10/17R - a quicker course than Cambridge but perhaps with slightly more climbing. It operates much like any CTT event so quickest get in over people with no time. Have a go at a few club 10s this year to get a qualifying time.

You should also try on an out-and-back route rather than a circuitous one.

darkstar

Will1985 said:
It's at Oxford next year on the H10/17R - a quicker course than Cambridge but perhaps with slightly more climbing. It operates much like any CTT event so quickest get in over people with no time. Have a go at a few club 10s this year to get a qualifying time.

cheers for the advice mate, what would be a respectable time to qualify with? I think some aero bars will be required.

edit; 1000th post...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Will1985 said:

Why exactly?

The club im joining, club 10 = 2 laps of a 5 mile circuit (Not that Im bothered actually, I just want to race, put all the advice you give me to the test :tongue:).

Personally I think I'd prefer to do out and back courses because well, you dont have to navigate anything, just point, aim and fire. But besides this, any other reason?

bianchi1

Guru
Out and back gives you a better chance to chase people down or see how close those chasing you down are as you will see them on your way back.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
bianchi1 said:
Out and back gives you a better chance to chase people down or see how close those chasing you down are as you will see them on your way back.

Didnt think of that, thanks, I guess that gives you extra motivation to push and an indication of how quick you are.

redddraggon

Blondie
Rob3rt said:
The club im joining, club 10 = 2 laps of a 5 mile circuit (Not that Im bothered actually, I just want to race, put all the advice you give me to the test :biggrin:).

It's a pretty slow course too apparantly. Are you doing it tomorrow?

ChrisKH

Guru
Kablinsky said:
Well, I'm convinved. Have just mailed my local club to try and get involved next wednesday evening also. It will also be my first (@ 40 years old)

Its tonite!

Let us know how you get on as this is local to me as well. Never considered a TT before, but there's always a first time.....

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
redddraggon said:
It's a pretty slow course too apparantly. Are you doing it tomorrow?

Not tomorrow, just getting the training in for next couple of weeks, the 27th May I should be there. By slow, I see the times are just under 24 mins for your faster riders, i.e. the number 1 and number 2 places (which is pretty quick) and about 29 for the slower riders (probly faster than me, these riders dont have places next to their names). Only 4 people show on the results.

I have a major blister (so bad could barely walk for a few days) on the ball of my foot from running while away without running shoes and im meant to be running 5k race on saturday so taking it easy this week, lol

Will probly tag along on some training rides in coming weeks though, I need to sign up to the forum and say hi and orientate myself etc, not heard back regarding my membership yet, must not have had the monthly meeting this month since I sent my forms.

Kablinsky

10.3 miles. 31m 35s. I went off way too quick and paid later on. Narrowly missed wiping out doing about 27mph as a dog walker wandered into the road without looking. Only got passed by timetrial bikes. Jeez they can move.

I can't believe just how ragged I was in the last couple of miles. If I hadn't been in so much pain I would have laughed. Will definitely do it again. Target has to be sub 30 minutes.

Kablinsky

The wind wasn't too bad but it was cold. I'll take a look at the link. Now. . . time to start looking into Aero bars. Hopefully that will help the average 19.66mph. I feel an obsession coming on.

Top Bottom