Amanda Coker,New womans record challenger.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jo from the other place

Further and faster than any of the previous record challengers' first days. It looks like she has started with a Kurt style accumulation of fast "easy" miles around Flatwood Park [of course it is not at all easy to ride at 20mph for 12 hours, but she is using the terrain and conditions to minimise the difficulty they might otherwise present].

This should be an interesting year ahead.

oytt2016_05_15.png

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is Amanda drafting? It seems that her facebook page says she can.
She's riding HAMR rules, so it's allowed (but not, I've read, motor pacing - but I didn't see that in the rules). No idea whether she is or not.

If she carries on like this she'll smash the BD record, and any record that KT sets. But KT is riding to the stricter Guinness rules for which AC won't be eligible. But wait! Guinness OK'd Kurt's HAMR-ruled ride. So it all gets a bit of a boxing-style mess. And, to be honest, not a terribly interesting mess.

jo from the other place

Amanda rode in Flatwood Park, Florida - where Kurt clocked up many of his miles towards the end of his record year. I believe Kurt and Alicia (and I imagine many others) were there with Amanda yesterday. You can see from the chart above that she mimicked Kurt's riding strategy of day one, albeit faster and further!

One day's riding out of 365 is going to tell us little about her endurance over the year, but she is clearly a very strong and determined rider. How many of us can ride 250 miles in 12 hours, even in a peloton? It does open up the possibility that she might have her eye on Kurt's record, which would be a fantastic achievement if she could and would do wonders for the reputation of women's ultra distance cycling.

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
Their is some background on her gofundme page and to be honest the fact she is still riding is impressive never mind attempting the record , she's obviously a very driven young lady so this could get very interesting as the year progresses .

cmiller

I believe Kurt and Alicia (and I imagine many others) were there with Amanda yesterday.
Kurt and Alicia were there for only a lap or two before leaving. After that, there were never more than 4-5 riding with her at any time and most of those people never pulled. She wore everyone out (including myself) and for the last several hours it was only her and one other rider. It's going to be another big day today, too. Should be right around 230 miles.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
If she carries on like this she'll smash the BD record, and any record that KT sets. But KT is riding to the stricter Guinness rules for which AC won't be eligible. But wait! Guinness OK'd Kurt's HAMR-ruled ride. So it all gets a bit of a boxing-style mess. And, to be honest, not a terribly interesting mess.
It's "interesting" to speculate that if Ms Coker really is going for the gender-unification record, poor Kajsa may never get her hands on the record even if she maintains her current progress. Except of course that she's chasing a different record - following rules which as far as I know no-one has seen.

Hats off to Amanda though. I can kind of relate to what Kajsa is doing because each individual day is something I could realistically emulate. But even Amanda's first day is way beyond my comprehension.

Top Bottom