Amanda Coker,New womans record challenger.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I can see that Paul. But how many 200 milers can you put in the bank before you start to burn out. Im sure she knows what she is doing but to mere mortals like me, it looks unbelievable.

Whats Winter like out her way, because she has to ride all through it unless she intends to best the record before it arrives.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

WOW....Im getting tired just reading the numbers now.

I always feel sad for these "Records"

How much of the gain is due to better bike design, lighter materials and more efficiency rather than simple athletic skill

What would the original holder have been capable of in a 2016 bike rather than a 1938 one?

cmiller

Whats Winter like out her way, because she has to ride all through it unless she intends to best the record before it arrives.

Winter here is pretty mild with lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's, but it's pretty windy just about every day. It's the summers that are brutal- in the 90's with 90+ humidity nearly every day. There's also frequent thunderstorm's she'll have to deal with. She really enjoys riding in the hotter weather, though, so I don't see it being a problem for her.

gavintc

Guru
Not sure what the face palm is about. I might have misunderstood.

But, I am with cunobelin on this one. Breaking very old records leaves me slightly uncomfortable. I acknowledge the athletic prowess and competence of the modern riders, but feel it is just not a direct comparison.

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
The argument was done to death last year with the Tommy Godwin record and Kurt Searvogel and Steve Abraham's attempts on his record , you are never going to be able to have a direct comparison be it a twenty year old record or a twenty four hour old record the weather,wind strength , road surface , personal fitness , physiology , available support et al all make it impossible , at the end of the day it's a most miles in 365 days challenge and it doesn't matter what perceived advantages the riders may have they still have to do the riding , as a case in point Tommy Godwins record was 75,065 miles Kurt Searvogel's current record is 76,076 miles and he didn't have to contend with a British winter or war time limitations, surely if modern technology and roads etc made that much of a difference he would have trashed Tommy's record by a lot more than 1,000 miles ?

Paul

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Winter here is pretty mild with lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's, but it's pretty windy just about every day. It's the summers that are brutal- in the 90's with 90+ humidity nearly every day. There's also frequent thunderstorm's she'll have to deal with. She really enjoys riding in the hotter weather, though, so I don't see it being a problem for her.

Will she move from state to state during the record attempt to make use of the weather conditions?

cmiller

Will she move from state to state during the record attempt to make use of the weather conditions?

That's not really an option for her. A few years ago she was hit by a car traveling in excess of 55mph and was severely injured (traumatic brain injury, spinal injuries and several broken broken bones and torn muscles). She now suffers with PTSD as a result and will rarely ride on the road. She did ride across the US last year, but was able to do so only because her dad followed behind her on a three wheeled motorcycle to ease her fears. The budget is just not there to do the same for her HAM'R attempt. You will see here ride other paved trails throughout the year, but they will all be in Florida.

That's not really an option for her. A few years ago she was hit by a car traveling in excess of 55mph and was severely injured (traumatic brain injury, spinal injuries and several broken broken bones and torn muscles). She now suffers with PTSD as a result and will rarely ride on the road. She did ride across the US last year, but was able to do so only because her dad followed behind her on a three wheeled motorcycle to ease her fears. The budget is just not there to do the same for her HAM'R attempt. You will see here ride other paved trails throughout the year, but they will all be in Florida.
Makes it all the more remarkable what she's doing now.

jo from the other place

Wow! My admiration for Amanda just goes up and up. Sticking to off road Florida for 12 months is going to be tough through the summer and I guess hurricane season isn't going to be a breeze either.

Gomanda!

cmiller

Week One.

13267751_10209606701995111_456424240283699178_n.jpg

Top Bottom