Amanda Coker,New womans record challenger.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Not hanging around, is she? Chapeau to her and I hope her body and mind can keep it up.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Amanda.jpg

I wonder what Alicia is considering doing now that Amanda has made this start. I haven't got the impression that she would make much of a dent in the numbers that Amanda is posting so will she still be making an attempt at the record?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I enjoyed the subtle product placements in this post from Amanda

Amanda Coker- Ultracyclist - HAM'R 2016
27 May at 02:01 ·
Day Twelve, 231 miles. Today was a perfect example of the term my good friends Charlie & Mary use for Flatwoods...Windy Woods! Slowed the pace down and still hammered through. Mom & Dad are professional pit crew members now; when I roll in for a quick stop they feed me, load up my pockets with fuel, get my Tailwind Nutrition bottles ready, lather me in sunscreen, clean off my Oakley sunglasses, toss me a jar of Enzo's, keep the Schlitter Bikes & Cima Cycles bikes pristine, refill my Spruzza Mist, and keep it fun with smiles always on their faces. Had a great time seeing my friends through out the day: Josh, Jared, Jack (grupetto), Dick, April, Mark, John, One Lap Dad, Becky, Adam, Mark, Clint, Michael, Sarah, and Greg.
Thanks for all the support online, all your words of encouragement help keep me rolling! :smile:

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
For clarity, I am registered under the Ultra Marathon Cycling Association, UMCA. It is the leading international organization dedicated to ultra cycling. The women's HAMR I am attempting is for my age group 50-59. A year is a long time and anything can happen as we all know. So, let the party begin!!!

From Alicia's Facebook page.

Paul

OP
OP
PMarkey

PMarkey

Guru
And going into week four Amanda does 428km in an elapsed time of 14 hours 41 minutes with an average speed of 31.5 kph :ohmy:

Paul

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I enjoyed the subtle product placements in this post from Amanda

Amanda Coker- Ultracyclist - HAM'R 2016
27 May at 02:01 ·
Day Twelve, 231 miles. Today was a perfect example of the term my good friends Charlie & Mary use for Flatwoods...Windy Woods! Slowed the pace down and still hammered through. Mom & Dad are professional pit crew members now; when I roll in for a quick stop they feed me, load up my pockets with fuel, get my Tailwind Nutrition bottles ready, lather me in sunscreen, clean off my Oakley sunglasses, toss me a jar of Enzo's, keep the Schlitter Bikes & Cima Cycles bikes pristine, refill my Spruzza Mist, and keep it fun with smiles always on their faces. Had a great time seeing my friends through out the day: Josh, Jared, Jack (grupetto), Dick, April, Mark, John, One Lap Dad, Becky, Adam, Mark, Clint, Michael, Sarah, and Greg.
Thanks for all the support online, all your words of encouragement help keep me rolling! :smile:
Kajsa should post something similar.

As I roll up to the caravan, mum speedily pushes some of last nights pizza into my rear pockets along with some of Bumbles Winalot dried biscuits and some scones from an unnamed garden centre. She points me into the constant headwind and I am off again. But not before I ask "Have you got anything to say mum?"

cmiller

It's "interesting" to speculate that if Ms Coker really is going for the gender-unification record, poor Kajsa may never get her hands on the record even if she maintains her current progress. Except of course that she's chasing a different record - following rules which as far as I know no-one has seen.

Amanda is most definitely going for the Guinness Record. She was informed by Guinness (prior to the start) that if she broke the record and it was certified by the UMCA that they would also certify it. No different than Kurt.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Amanda is most definitely going for the Guinness Record. She was informed by Guinness (prior to the start) that if she broke the record and it was certified by the UMCA that they would also certify it. No different than Kurt.
Interesting. This seems to imply that Guinness wouldn't accept any further applications to mount a challenge under their rules, and that they won't be recognising separate records. Quite sensible, but a bit rough on Kajsa who is being overtaken by events, as well as by Amanda in a few weeks' time.

On that subject, based on year to date averages the projected catch date is August 7th (Amanda's day 85). For a while it was heading for the 6th but the tropical storm a few weeks ago pushed it back a couple of days; the disruption to Kajsa's schedule to accommodate Vätternrundan then brought it forward one day. Another significant milestone is currently projected for September 29th (day 138) when Amanda reaches 50,000km, after which she'll be heading out of Kajsa's reach even if she has to stop before the end of her year - the last thing I'd expect or hope for, I hasten to add.

It's not all gloomy for Kajsa though. She remains true to the spirit of the challenge she set out on; I believe she'll see it through now and her legend will be secure. She resisted the temptation to change tack when draftgate broke in February; had she done so it would have greatly diminished her achievement and I'm proud to have helped her through that.

This must sound dreadfully pompous. I am sorry.

Top Bottom