Amanda Coker,New womans record challenger.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another month has rolled by so time for an Amanda update.

She's upped her average to closer to 250 miles a day in the last couple of weeks, and has hit 260 miles a day for the last two days.

Some suggestion in the other place she is going for Steve's monthly record.

Amanda has 52 days of her year left, but won't need them to break Kurt's record which she is on course to do in the second week of next month.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...8ErqyFqBvnHk/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=2022488017

Some suggestion in the other place she is going for Steve's monthly record.
More than a suggestion. She's registered three month record attempts, the first of which starts on 25th March, aka tomorrow, and the others are staggered about a week (I forget exactly, but the registered attempts are on the UMCA site somewhere not that easy to find).

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The UMCA page is here: https://www.ultracycling.com/highest-monthly-mileage-hmmr/, but there's nothing on except the start dates fo far. I think rides go on after validation rather than at upload to Strava.
Current progress is 799.6 miles in 3 days, so the question is whether she'll get past 8000 or not (probably will).

Kurt's record is due to go on the 5th April, assuming around 260 miles per day is maintained. I wouldn't expect any mileage variations (short of injury/illness) to change the date.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 4747443, member: 9609"]
I do find it odd that the month challenge is not a calender month and is instead any rolling 30 days :wacko: but whatever, 8000 miles in 30 days on a bike is mind blowing - my best 28 day is 642.[/QUOTE]
Calendar months can be 4 different lengths so that wouldn't make a lot of sense - you would be stupid not to choose one of the 31 day months Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Aug, Oct or Dec if you were doing a calendar month record. (Unless you have a different record for each month! :laugh:)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I see there's a comment on "another forum" which all but says Amanda is looking at the 100,000 mile record as well. Whatever the status of that particular record, since she'd only need another 50 days or thereabouts after the end of her official year, it would be a bit odd not to.

Just when I was starting to think she was completely invincible and could whatever she wished, in recent days Amanda has slipped behind 8000 mile pace for the current month attempt. I think there've been weather issues and at least one early park closure, so it's not completely plain sailing.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
[QUOTE 4770352, member: 9609"]However I am a bit confused by this, Goodwin had 8583 miles for July 1939 when he first set the anual record. There had to be a 30 day period within July 39 when he exceeded 8000 miles ?[/QUOTE]
I think, athough I stand to be corrected, that you have to state your intention that you're going for the record for it to be recognised. I believe that both Steve and Kurt broke the previous 30 day record during their year record attempts but as neither of them had stated it as an official 30 day record attempt it doesn't get recognised.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 4802632, member: 9609"]She has just finished the year with an astonishing 86,573 miles, I wonder if this will be ever beaten. - A truly amazing achievement.[/QUOTE]

The figures are mind boggling.

steverob

Guru
That article at least answers the one question I had about Amanda's rides - I couldn't fathom why every day she seems to do one lap (and just one) of a particular route every morning, before she starts doing the endless loops of her regular course. Turns out it's because the park for her regular course isn't open that early in the morning!

Top Bottom