Amanda Coker,New womans record challenger.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Steve Abraham shared this on Facebook. Worth reading.

Allan Duhm
I posted this in response to Shusanah Pillinger's question and at Steven Abraham's suggestion am reposting in it's own thread to help tell Amanda Coker's story. I can provide some perspective on Amanda's efforts, and yes she has almost no time at all to post lengthy updates and the like. She's a very unassuming young lady who understands the massive effort it could take to surpass Kurt's record, thus no shout outs about plans to break it. She's taking it one day at a time and every day is 12-13 hours on the bike, go home shower, eat and go to bed. Having ridden nearly 3,000 miles with her, I can attest that when she comes in for a pit stop, usually the first one at around 65 miles, she slaps on the sun screen, loads up with a sandwich and some gel packs, and rolls back out within 5-8 minutes. Often she skips that first SAG if she's feeling good and simply takes a bottle and sandwich hand off as she keeps rolling through her first 100 or so miles. There is simply no messing around with the available time she has to ride. That said, she's always pleasant on the bike, talking to other riders, calling out to walkers on the trail by name, etc. She has in fact inspired many many other riders to complete th first century ride of their lives, and a few to complete their first double century. This week I heard one of Tampa's very best riders say to her "Amanda, I usually only come out here and do a few laps and then head home, but you inspire me to do more." I thought that was very telling of her effect on others. She's worked through saddle sores, stomach issues, and I believe 4 crashes. Two on a wet bridge in the park, one as the result of sliding out on a patch of pine needles, and one as a result of a rider catching her back wheel. That one resulted in some serious rib bruising, but she just kept on rolling through the pain. Deer and snakes have been plentiful and require careful and attentive riding, not to mention the occasional very large wild boar that sprint across the trail. A huge one sprinted across the trail today about 10 yards in front of her! The trail also has a semi-regular visiting alligator whom she's dubbed "El Guapo" after a character in one of her favorite movies, The Three Amigos. Sometimes he lays across the trail leaving just enough room to scoot past, and other times he lays with only his head on the trail like a spectator. Hurricane Matthew threw some nasty winds at her on Friday and Saturday, sustained at 25 and gusting to 30-35, and she's ridden through at least a couple of other tropical storms, and countless vicious Florida summer thunderstorms. Her smiles in her photos belie the effort she put out every day. The best way I can describe her is 'relentlessly consistent'. And I would be remiss if I did not mention her more than outstanding support team (Mom and Dad) Ricky and Donna Coker. They support her day in and day out and, like Amanda, they are wonderful and outstanding ambassadors for ultra cycling as they've made innumerable friends at Flatwoods Park as people come in to ask about Amanda's efforts. I hope this helps in a small way to help many of you get a snapshot of her efforts, trials and successes.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I see that one of Amanda's good friends and support riders has been tragically killed whilst riding in the park. I hope Amanda's able to continue without being seriously affected, as I'm sure he'd have wanted - a cliché I know, but probably true.

Without remotely suggesting that anyone could possibly think such an outcome is desirable, it might be worth noting that should something happen to force Amanda to abandon her challenge today, for Kajsa to match her current total would, by my calculation, require 119 mile days from now onwards. There will be a day when this notional target is completely out of reach, but we're not quite there yet.

This isn't going to happen, nor could anyone wish for it. Let's hope everyone stays safe and properly focused.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Amanda Coker- Ultracyclist - HAM'R 2016
7 hrs ·
Day 152 ended with 233 miles.

It is with tremendous heavy hearts that we wish to honor the memory of a gentleman whom we came to know well during our short time out at Flatwoods Park. Gary and Becky are regulars at the park, with Gary usually riding on ahead at a faster pace while Becky paced herself to meet up with Gary later. Gary also rode along behind Amanda on many occasions chatting with her and keeping her company, while forming a special bond. Gary was often heard telling Amanda to "Go get em kiddo." He always had Amanda's back.
Yesterday Gary, 67, had a solo bike crash on the trail, and despite wearing a helmet, he sustained a severe head injury which unfortunately lead to his passing last night. Numerous cyclists stopped to lend their support, making sure he was not moved as we waited for the fire/rescue responders to arrive, ultimately airlifted to Tampa General. Gary loved cycling, and living only a couple miles from the park, he and Becky rode to and around Flatwoods almost daily. They were both openly and outwardly extremely friendly to everyone they met, making friends of all. We post this announcement simply to honor Gary, a wonderful and amazing cyclist and human being. Rest in peace Gary, you will be greatly missed.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Wasn't there some talk on here a while back about Kurt running for UMCA President or something with the feeling being he was going to try to change the rules so Amanda wouldn't break his record, just wondering if there was any update? I may of course be wildly wide of the mark and have dreamt the whole thing.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Wasn't there some talk on here a while back about Kurt running for UMCA President or something with the feeling being he was going to try to change the rules so Amanda wouldn't break his record, just wondering if there was any update? I may of course be wildly wide of the mark and have dreamt the whole thing.

There was, @cmiller - one of Amanda's support team - commented on this thread.

I've not heard anything since, so it looks like whatever Kurt was up to didn't go anywhere.

Maybe he's accepted Amanda is likely to beat his record.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/umca-hamr-news-from-the-very-near-future.208003/post-4494730

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 4614750, member: 9609"]where is she cycling, it must be very flat, in 6200 mile this month she has only done 11,500' ascent (1000' every 540miles (a snooker table can be 1000' ascent every 694 miles) )

I have done 16,300' in 270 miles this month.[/QUOTE]
Blimey, she IS in the flatlands - I did 2,600 ft yesterday in 33 miles and only half of my route was hilly!

Mind you, I wouldn't fancy doing 200+ miles a day for a year no matter how flat the terrain was or how big the peloton that I was drafting was ... :whistle:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 4614750, member: 9609"]where is she cycling, it must be very flat, in 6200 mile this month she has only done 11,500' ascent (1000' every 540miles (a snooker table can be 1000' ascent every 694 miles) )

I have done 16,300' in 270 miles this month.[/QUOTE]

Blimey, she IS in the flatlands - I did 2,600 ft yesterday in 33 miles and only half of my route was hilly!

Mind you, I wouldn't fancy doing 200+ miles a day for a year no matter how flat the terrain was or how big the peloton that I was drafting was ... :whistle:

She's doing the same loop of Wilderness Park in Florida every day and every day is like this.

upload_2016-12-28_13-1-25.png

cmiller

As of last week, Kurt is no longer a UMCA board member. And as far as I know, there has been no further talk about changing HAMR rules.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4691415, member: 9609"]she's still going and still churning out astonishing distances every day
day 281
64,765 miles on the clock
if she keeps this pace up it could be in excess of 84,000 miles for the year :wacko:
She's going to blow Kurt Searvogels record completely out of the water.

Amazing stuff[/QUOTE]

If she continues at her current metronomic pace she will beat Kurt's record with more than a month to spare.

Last I heard, Steve Abraham is going to have another go starting in the next few weeks.

Trying to beat Amanda must be a very daunting prospect.

I suppose he could aim for the men's record which, unusually, will almost certainly be an easier target than the women's record.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I honestly cant see Steve managing to beat Coker's total mileage in this country. He would need to do as Coker and go do loops on a flatter course with better year round clement weather.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I honestly cant see Steve managing to beat Coker's total mileage in this country. He would need to do as Coker and go do loops on a flatter course with better year round clement weather.
And I can't imagine Steve spending a whole year going round and round in circles. It doesn't seem to fit in with his character, from what I've learned about him. (I, however, do appear to have spent a lifetime going round and round in circles....)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And I can't imagine Steve spending a whole year going round and round in circles. It doesn't seem to fit in with his character, from what I've learned about him. (I, however, do appear to have spent a lifetime going round and round in circles....)

Agreed, he so not that type of rider. But as I said, with this countries climate, roads and conditions it would make for what I think an impossibility.

Top Bottom