Amateur bike repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
£180 seems reasonable for that, and it seems a reasonable diagnosis from what you say. And worth doing for a bike if that spec. It's not clear from what you write if the bottom bracket itself needs replacing.

In order to do the work yourself, you'll need:

Bottom bracket spanner (if BB needs replacement, may not).
Pedal spanner.
Chain whip.
Cassette tool.
Set of Allen keys.
Chain splitting tool.
May need special tools to get in pedal bearings (they vary; you may just need to replace the whole pedal, model and state of knackerdness dependent)

It's very likely given that needs doing you'll also need some other minor consumables (brake blocks, gear cables, maybe gear outers).

If you don't already have that, it might cost nearly as much as getting the shop to do it.

None of this requires great skill, so really it's down to preference: are you interested in learning maintenance for future cost and self reliance, or do you just want to ride. Anticipate a learning curve if you've never done any of it before.

Park tool have a brilliant set of on line guides and videos. Their tools are excellent too, though expensive.

At the end of the day it might just depend on how much time you have and how you feel about it.

If you repair it yourself then you will have to buy the tools - but them you have some tools for next time!
and you get to learn how to do things you haven't done before and fix something

but it will take longer and take some research - and probably thinking.

Also - you will have to get parts yourself - and some may be the wrong ones maybe.
However, overall you will save money and learn stuff and achieve something
but it will take time and effort.
Taking it to the LBS gets you a working bike which will have been 'done' properly (probably!), and faster and with far less effort.

So - it depends on what you want/feel like doing I suppose.

Good luck either way - let us know how it goes

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It’s pretty damn hard to wear out pedal bearings.
I used to think that... :whistle:
I went through every part of my singlespeed bike recently looking for the source of a strange ticking sound...

It sounded to me like it was coming from the rear wheel and I ended up replacing the wheel bearings, the freehub bearings, the chain... (the list goes on and on)

In the end I had the brilliant idea of putting the bike on my turbo trainer and getting someone to bend down and listen for me. It turned out to actually be coming from my left pedal...

Noises are not always coming from where you think they are!
The pedal was probably over 10 years old, and I certainly HAD worn out the bearings...

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I need to replace the rear cassette, the chain, the chain rings and the bearing.
I would indeed have to buy all the tools you mentioned as I don't own any.
The bike's a good road bike just 8 years old - I paid £220 for it: it's a Boardman road comp (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/road-bikes/boardman-road-comp)
The bearing in one pedal is worn out - the right pedal was making a clicking noise as it went round.
The chains were slipping from the gears and looked like shark teeth.
It's rideable but very noisy and un-smooth. The big issue was the gears slipping.
I have bashed the OP's posts together and precised.
This bike has Sora 9sp.
(Cross-post with all the other enthusiast immediately upthread :rolleyes:.)
I would take things in stages:
Replace the pedals. To remove (and fit) them you need a spanner, though the pedal axles may have an allen key (?6mm) slot in - check.
Replace the chain and cassette. You may well find that this sorts your immediate issues - leave the chainset and bottom bracket for now.
11-30 cassette (£27) https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cassettes/1125-shimano-cshg50-9-speed-cassette/
9sp chain (£14) https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chains/sram-pc951-9-speed-chain-114-links-grey/
Tools (max £30) you would need: Chain tool, Cassette lockring tool, (spanner, adjustable), chain whip (look under the 'Maintenance' tab (I have no connection with SJS - they were the first ones who had a 9sp road cassette.) I would get a tube of grease to use on the pedals and the cassette lockring and last you for 10,000 miles. Edit: You could consider this if you think you're going to get 'into it' (£69):
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/icetoolz-essence-tool-kit/
Pedals, cassette and chain replacement would take less than half an hour, not including cleaning time.
Quite possible your LBS or your local Hal-fords will have all this on their shelves.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Pedals, cassette and chain replacement would take less than half an hour, not including cleaning time.

If I was the OP I'd be very wary of this time assessment. It may well be correct for some who is experienced and mechanically competent.

I fall in to the incompetent bracket. If I was to attempt the above it could take me several hours followed by a trip to the LBS. I'd add a work stand to the list of tools you'd need. So much easier than scrabbling around on the garage floor.

@bjacob my advice would be to visit your LBS. You've already purchased a bike and missed some important defects, you may have missed others which the LBS should spot - a good one will inspect your bike while doing the work.

I'd expect to pay £140 for everything you describe. Depending on where you live £180 sounds reasonable.

Reactions: C R

All uphill

Still rolling along
Will you enjoy learning new skills, accept that you may make some mistakes along the way and tolerate the odd grazed knuckle?

Or will you hate every moment?

Maybe pay to have the bike repaired and serviced this time so you can get cycling, and then do jobs on the bike as they come up?

davidphilips

Veteran
Not hard jobs, watch a few utube videos and have a go your self, if the bike needs the work done then even if you sell it you will get more for it with the jobs being done.
Just check that all the parts are worn and need replaced and when buying a chain dont buy a very cheap low quality or you will be doing the job again very soon.
Check prices for parts online far as i know Halfords still do a price match.

Top Bottom