Amateur bike repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bjacob

I'm completely new to road biking and just bought a second hand bike. It turns out to be in a lot worse condition than I realised and I need to replace the rear cassette, the chain, the chain rings and the bearing. I've been quoted £180 for this. I'm thinking of trying to fix this myself to save money.

Problem is I neither have the tools nor the experience. Do you think this level of repair work is feasible for an amateur. Would it be cost effective for me to do it myself given I would have to buy all the parts and also the tools required.

If you were in my shoes would you just spend the £180 and get the pros to do it?

CentralCommuter

What kind of bike is it and how much did you pay for it?

if it’s a heavy road bike out of Argos that’s only worth £180 then it’s not really worth it, but if it’s a decent in need of some TLC then it might be worth the investment.

Drago

Legendary Member
Its extremely feasible for an amateur - many of the CC Masseev could do this blindfolded while juggling plates and whistling dixie.

Do a bit of research online and on YouTube, see if its something you can handle. If not, then pay the shop.

However, you'll need a cassette lock ring tool and a chain splitter, so straight away youre adding the cost of cycle specific tools if you don't already have them.

As above though, is the bike worth it? If its an Argos special then don't bother, but if its a bit beyter than that it may be worth the effort and/or expense.

Big John

Guru
What 'bearing' are we talking about? Bottom bracket? And where did the quote come from? What make and model of bike is it? There are some tools you'd definitely need to fork out on e.g. cassette tool, chain whip, chain splitter (chances are you'll need to cut the new chain to length) and bottom bracket removal tool (assuming it's a cartridge BB). Although none are mega bucks by the time you add them up the cost mounts up.

Until we will know what bike we're looking at no one can give you an accurate assessment of the overall cost but my guess is by the time you've bought tools AND parts you may not save much, if anything, by doing it yourself. However, these tools can be used again and again and THATS when you start saving some money in labour costs.

OP
OP
B

bjacob

Thanks a lot for this - this was my thought process. I would indeed have to buy all the tools you mentioned as I don't own any.

The bike's a good road bike just 8 years old : it's a Boardman road comp (https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/road-bikes/boardman-road-comp)

The bearing in one pedal is worn out.
The quote of £180 was from a local bike shop.

I paid £220 for it which was probably too much considering the condition but I didn't really know when I bought it.

What 'bearing' are we talking about? Bottom bracket? And where did the quote come from? What make and model of bike is it? There are some tools you'd definitely need to fork out on e.g. cassette tool, chain whip, chain splitter (chances are you'll need to cut the new chain to length) and bottom bracket removal tool (assuming it's a cartridge BB). Although none are mega bucks by the time you add them up the cost mounts up.

Until we will know what bike we're looking at no one can give you an accurate assessment of the overall cost but my guess is by the time you've bought tools AND parts you may not save much, if anything, by doing it yourself. However, these tools can be used again and again and THATS when you start saving some money in labour costs.

OP
OP
B

bjacob

How do you know the bike needs so much doing to it? What symptoms are stopping you riding it?
The chains were slipping from the gears and looked like shark teeth. The right pedal was making a clicking noise as it went round.

It's rideable but very noisy and unsmooth. The big issue was the gears slipping

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe get a second quote, either from another shop, a bike coop type place or a mobile mechanic?
whereabouts are you?
you might save some money buying the parts online and having them fitted (my LBS charges an extra fiver per part of fitting if supply them, but as I can save £20 on a cassette say it’s generally worthwhile)

Ajax Bay

Guru
I need to replace the rear cassette, the chain, the chain rings and the bearing. If you were in my shoes would you just spend the £180 and get the pros to do it?
:welcome: No. Answer questions above: make, model, age/year, how much did it cost, drivetrain speed (number of sprockets at back), condition, type of chainset and we can help more. Also try to answer the 'why does all this need replacing' question.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In addition to the quality of the actual bicycle, as already mentioned by several posts above. Does the £180 include parts?

Without knowing the details of the bicycle in question, the list of parts, even assuming basic items:

Chain £12
Cassette £25
Bottom Bracket £20
Chain Ring £15

Would add up to approximately £72, so, around a £100 for labour?

I am no expert at bicycle mechanics, but, I think I could tackle all of the items you mention.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
There is another round of £50 Bike Shop vouchers being released which, if you can get the parts for them, will make a dent in your local Bike shop's invoice for doing the work if they are registered for the scheme.

Top Bottom