1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amazing statistic of the day

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by bobg, 4 Mar 2008.

1. bobg

bobg Über Member

I was lying in bed this morning letting the Today prog wash over me and paying scant attention, when someone said " there are more people alive today than ever lived and died in the whole of human existance " Pretty damned startling ... what what ;)

2. Pete

Pete Guest

I heard that. They were talking about impending threat of world famine consequent on the hike in prices of wheat and other basic foods. I think what they meant to say was, there are more people alive today than the sum total of all people who have died throughout recorded history. A surprising but logical consequence of the exponential nature of population growth.

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

More field mice are killed in any given week by eating poisoned Spangles, than cups of tea were served during the whole of WWI.

4. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

There are more exclamation marks in all the posts by Keith Oates on this forum than there are grains of sand on all the beaches on the planet earth.

5. NickM

NickM Über Member

Not so much amazing; more terrifying. Join VHEMT now!

6. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

got the snip four years ago so i guess i've joined already! :tongue:

7. NickM

NickM Über Member

Good for you! I've always been in it - well, as far as I know...

8. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

if you've always been in it, you may not be! :tongue:

9. yorkshiregoth

yorkshiregoth Master of all he surveys

I think you may find that it's actually 89.7%

10. Aint Skeered

Aint Skeered New Member

Elephants can't jump

11. Pete

Pete Guest

We're too old now, and anyway we only had the one offspring, so I reckon we've done our bit without my having to go through - err.. err... xx(

I used to think that the 'Chinese' solution was the way forward, but age imbalance: too many old people, not enough young adults - brings its own problems in many cultures. Maybe I should study my Malthus a bit more carefully next time...

12. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

never heard it called that before! xx(

13. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

That's excellent. I will use that as often as I can, and ignore any doubters...xx(

14. NickM

NickM Über Member

It ruddy well isn't xx(

Signed: A. Fieldmouse

15. simoncc

simoncc New Member

It's also a load of rubbish, but one often used by the more hysterical of the planet saving brigade who are prone to uncritical acceptance of 'facts' that suit their case.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa004&articleID=09E07C6F-E7F2-99DF-3AD087F0DA77D94F&ref=rss

http://www.population.govt.nz/myth-busters/MoreAliveThanLived.htm

http://www.forteantimes.com/strangedays/mythbusters/368/the_quick_and_the_dead.html