amazing statistic of the day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

Each cubic metre of the Sun produces less energy than a human body.

I heard that on Horizon so it MUST be right.

Pete

The Velvet Curtain said:

[astrophysics hat on]Yup, sounds plausible (though I haven't looked up any figures). The Sun produces all its energy by fusion, in a relatively small volume right down at its core, and the rest of its bulk is merely engaged in transmitting that energy to the surface where it then gets radiated out to us.[/astrophysics]

bonj2

The Velvet Curtain said:

that's bollocks. The total volume of a non-obese person is probably less than a cubic metre, and you don't get sunburn off PEOPLE do you. People dont' shine, or gve off heat.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
The Velvet Curtain said:

Hmmmm ...

Volume of the Sun = 1.4122 × 10^21 m³
Energy production by the sun = 3.83 × 10^26 W

Therefore energy per cubic meter of "sun" is approx 2.7x10^5 W/m³

or 270KW - I really doubt that the human body produces anything like that - considered opinion is of the order 200-300W

(my maths may be completely poo of course, it is a looooong time since school) ;)

Andrew

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Oh well, it seems my maths is completely poo as I suspected ....

From wiki :

About 3.4 × 1038 protons (hydrogen nuclei) are converted into helium nuclei every second (out of ~8.9 × 1056 total amount of free protons in the Sun), releasing energy at the matter–energy conversion rate of 4.26 million tonnes per second, 383 yottawatts (3.83 × 1026 W) or 9.15 × 1010 megatons of TNT per second. This actually corresponds to a surprisingly low rate of energy production in the Sun's core—about 0.3 µW/cm³ (microwatts per cubic cm), or about 6 µW/kg of matter. For comparison, the human body produces heat at approximately the rate 1.2 W/kg, millions of times greater per unit mass.

But that is energy per kg not energy per m³, so maybe I am still right ... who knows :evil:

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
that's bollocks. The total volume of a non-obese person is probably less than a cubic metre, and you don't get sunburn off PEOPLE do you. People dont' shine, or gve off heat.

People don't give off heat eh? Do you have any close friends? You better check they aren't all zombies. Or lizards.

Mammals use up a huge proportion of the energy they produce maintaining their body heat. It's called being 'warm blooded'. I suggest you watch more David Attenborough programmes

No one said that a human radiates more energy in heat and light than the sun, no. They said produces energy. But just to keep you warm, breathing, heart beating and brain working uses up a lot of energy. So there's not a lot left to shine with.

simoncc

surfgurl said:
I am 29, when I was at secondary school I was taught that the worlds' supplies of coal and gas were due to run out in 25 years time and that the oil supply would run out in 30 years time.
My husband, aged 47, was taught the same.
I now work in a school and the kids are taught the same.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on here? Are we being fed spurious statistics or do they keep finding more supplies of these natural resources to boost the amount up to that which will run out in this time frame.
By all accounts the supply out to be very close to running out according to what the OH was taught.

I was taught that by the year 2000 the oil would have run out and cars would only be seen in museums.

Arch

Married to Night Train
simoncc said:
I was taught that by the year 2000 the oil would have run out and cars would only be seen in museums.

I don't believe that. To be taught, you'd have to display a willingness and capacity to learn.

I was never told anything specific about oil running out, BTW, my school must have been an odd one out... We were told that it was a finite resource, in terms that it takes million of years to form, and minutes to use up.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
surfgurl said:
I am 29, when I was at secondary school I was taught that the worlds' supplies of coal and gas were due to run out in 25 years time and that the oil supply would run out in 30 years time.
My husband, aged 47, was taught the same.
I now work in a school and the kids are taught the same.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on here? Are we being fed spurious statistics or do they keep finding more supplies of these natural resources to boost the amount up to that which will run out in this time frame.
By all accounts the supply out to be very close to running out according to what the OH was taught.

I think they may have discovered a bit more of the stuff since you were a lass

papercorn2000

simoncc said:

There's a Transport Museum in Glasgow (very popular BTW) and there's loads of cars in it. So the prediction was at lest half-right!

TVC

cisamcgu said:
Oh well, it seems my maths is completely poo as I suspected ....

From wiki :

About 3.4 × 1038 protons (hydrogen nuclei) are converted into helium nuclei every second (out of ~8.9 × 1056 total amount of free protons in the Sun), releasing energy at the matter–energy conversion rate of 4.26 million tonnes per second, 383 yottawatts (3.83 × 1026 W) or 9.15 × 1010 megatons of TNT per second. This actually corresponds to a surprisingly low rate of energy production in the Sun's core—about 0.3 µW/cm³ (microwatts per cubic cm), or about 6 µW/kg of matter. For comparison, the human body produces heat at approximately the rate 1.2 W/kg, millions of times greater per unit mass.

But that is energy per kg not energy per m³, so maybe I am still right ... who knows :biggrin:

Anyone know the mean density of the Sun?.... All I know is that I heard it on Horizon, and the BBC would never lie to us.;)

Pete

The Velvet Curtain said:
Anyone know the mean density of the Sun?.... All I know is that I heard it on Horizon, and the BBC would never lie to us.:biggrin:
About 1.4 times that of water, therefore one m³ will weigh about 1400Kg and yield (according to cisamcgu's figures) about 8.4 milliwatts.

Remember that the Sun - appearances notwithstanding - is not going off like a thermonuclear bomb. The limiting factor in the rate at which the Sun produces energy is the speed of weak interactions (the second weakest of the four fundamental forces). Weak interactions are closely linked to the production of neutrinos - which explains why astrophysicists have been so keen to study solar neutrinos - and hence the celebrated Homestake Mine experiment with its even more famous 'wrong answer' :biggrin: - a wrong answer that has since been explained away by the currently-held theory of neutrino 'flavour oscillations'.

But, anyway, the Sun is indeed spewing out neutrinos by the godzillion, just that they're changing their shape as they whizz through space. But this represents a relatively low rate of energy production, hence the Sun's long lifetime.

Astrophysics can have its moments...

bonj2

Arch said:
People don't give off heat eh? Do you have any close friends? You better check they aren't all zombies. Or lizards.

Mammals use up a huge proportion of the energy they produce maintaining their body heat. It's called being 'warm blooded'. I suggest you watch more David Attenborough programmes

No one said that a human radiates more energy in heat and light than the sun, no. They said produces energy. But just to keep you warm, breathing, heart beating and brain working uses up a lot of energy. So there's not a lot left to shine with.

well if you want to be completely pedantic, like you clearly do :biggrin:, no-one PRODUCES energy. It's impossible to actually produce energy out of nowhere. People don't, the sun doesn't. People CONVERT energy in the form of chemical energy in food to energy in other forms, such as heat energy, kinetic energy, and the sun CONVERTS energy from chemical energy in the form of hydrogen to heat and light energy (and probably some sound aswell), but it converts significantly MORE per cubic metre than a human does per cubic metre! Don't seriously think i'll take you seriously if you tell me humans convert more, 'cos whereever you've read that it's total guff, it doesn't make the remotest amount of sense. It either doesn't actually say what it purports to mean, or else it's just a fabrication.

Top Bottom