Amazing woman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Why should her family be compensated (if she were killed or injured)?

She chose the job, she chose to go into the building. Even if by family you mean her direct dependents, it is still a very difficult issue. She still chose the job, and still chose to put herself in harms way.

Would you expect a test drivers family to be compensated if they were killed doing their job? How about a merchant sailor swept overboard in a storm, should their family be compensated?

Yes, if the people in charge of them made an error that led to a preventable death, but not if the person chose of their own free will.

I am speechless - you arrogant little shoot. Thankfully, there are still other people in the world with a sense of duty. Jacomanus shows us his true value.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Why should her family be compensated (if she were killed or injured)?

She chose the job, she chose to go into the building. Even if by family you mean her direct dependents, it is still a very difficult issue. She still chose the job, and still chose to put herself in harms way.

Would you expect a test drivers family to be compensated if they were killed doing their job? How about a merchant sailor swept overboard in a storm, should their family be compensated?

Yes, if the people in charge of them made an error that led to a preventable death, but not if the person chose of their own free will.

well i get some sort of payout if i die and i only work in an office. what i was trying to say was, if any money was due to her family in any way, it's pound to a penny they would argue the toss not to pay out.

buggi said:
well i get some sort of payout if i die and i only work in an office. what i was trying to say was, if any money was due to her family in any way, it's pound to a penny they would argue the toss not to pay out.

Aah, ok. I totally agree, and would be nonplussed to learn that anything due was not payed in full and without making the family jump through hoops. That is not right, and is simply faceless evil by cold hearted beurocrats.

gavintc
I am speechless - you arrogant little shoot. Thankfully, there are still other people in the world with a sense of duty. Jacomanus shows us his true value.

My name is Jacomus.

What I have shown is not my true value at all, I have simply shown that I failed to understand what someone else wrote, and reacted according to what I thought it said.

I incorrectly assumed buggi to mean additional compensation to the family of the theoretically deceased, compensation over and above that which they are due.

In doing so I have clearly made a mistake.

domtyler

Über Member
I can't make up my mind if she was brave or just plain stupid. The factory was on fire but had presumably been evacuated, the fire brigade had already been ordered out on safety grounds when in she marches with just a fire extinguisher to tackle a potentially life threatening situation. If she had not pulled it off she would definitely have been called stupid. What did she gain? She saved a warehouse? Putting her life in imminent danger in doing so.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
My name is Jacomus....

What I have shown is not my true value at all, I have simply shown that I failed to understand what someone else wrote, and reacted according to what I thought it said.

partly my fault because i did use the word compo rather than "death in service benefit" or some other phrase.

domtyler said:
I can't make up my mind if she was brave or just plain stupid. The factory was on fire but had presumably been evacuated, the fire brigade had already been ordered out on safety grounds when in she marches with just a fire extinguisher to tackle a potentially life threatening situation. If she had not pulled it off she would definitely have been called stupid. What did she gain? She saved a warehouse? Putting her life in imminent danger in doing so.

i would say that she did a little more than save a warehouse. i seem to remember a fireworks factory blowing up abroad a few years ago wiping out the local town. i think a bomb factory may have the same effect? even on a slightly bigger scale?

papercorn2000

Again it was only property that was in danger, not any people (well not any important people). What was the point? Bravado? One-upmanship?

There's a cafe at the Army flying museum at Middle Wallop, it's one of our club tea stops. There's an Upper and a Lower Wallop as well but as there's nowhere to get cake at either we stick to the middle one.

domtyler

Über Member
Sorry but I don't believe that there were residential properties within blasting distance of a bomb factory.

Tetedelacourse

What she did was stupid. It's nothing to do with the 'covenant of care' relationship between the armed forces and the people of the UK. In fact it muddies the water somewhat to begin talking of this. Not every stupid thing that a member of the armed forces does should be protected by this talk.

We're talking here about a bomb factory that was ablaze, and the Fire Service had evacuated on grounds of danger. She walks in with 2 fire extinguishers and luckily managed to avoid injury or worse in an extremely hostile environment.

We DO have to acknowledge the work that the armed forces carry out on our behalf, but that DOES NOT extend to acts of extreme stupidity, where we don't even know if a danger to life existed.

In no walk of life should an act of stupidity be rewarded. It beggars belief.

domtyler

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
What she did was stupid. It's nothing to do with the 'covenant of care' relationship between the armed forces and the people of the UK. In fact it muddies the water somewhat to begin talking of this. Not every stupid thing that a member of the armed forces does should be protected by this talk.

We're talking here about a bomb factory that was ablaze, and the Fire Service had evacuated on grounds of danger. She walks in with 2 fire extinguishers and luckily managed to avoid injury or worse in an extremely hostile environment.

We DO have to acknowledge the work that the armed forces carry out on our behalf, but that DOES NOT extend to acts of extreme stupidity, where we don't even know if a danger to life existed.

In no walk of life should an act of stupidity be rewarded. It beggars belief.

You fancy her don't you!

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
So Bomb Disposal should only be undertaken if peoples' lives were at risk? So if there is a terrorist bomb near your house you would expect them to evacuate the people and then just let it rip? If that's the case, this massive change in the public's expectation will make their jobs so mcuh easier. But it's sad then, that all the bomb disposal officers that lost their lives in Northern Ireland did so unnecessarily. They should have just let all those bombs explode. Once the people were out, it was only property at risk.

This change in expectation will also come as an enormous relief to the other rescue services. No more call outs to help with flood or storm damage and certainly no need to bother with tackling property fires if it means any risk to fire fighters. 'Let it burn - it's only property'.

You only have to go to the US the see where this road has lead. The US Coastguard used to provide a rescue services at sea to anyone who needed it. Now they will only venture out if they believe a life is at risk. Everyone else has to make commercial arrangements for help. It's a system that some might think has merit but is totally at odds with the ethos in the rescue services here. It has also lead to a complete collapse of respect and support by the public for the USCG which has made the execution of their other functions so much harder.

The Covenant in this debate is relevant: Other posters were suggesting that there should be no compensation for anyone injured in the forces as they knew what they were getting into when they joined up. This idea is totally at odds with situation as has always existed since the days of Charles II.

We know very little about the circumstances of this situation. Based on knowing nothing I am at least prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Top Bottom