Amazing woman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

Tim Bennet. said:
So Bomb Disposal should only be undertaken if peoples' lives were at risk? So if there is a terrorist bomb near your house you would expect them to evacuate the people and then just let it rip? If that's the case, this massive change in the public's expectation will make their jobs so mcuh easier. But it's sad then, that all the bomb disposal officers that lost their lives in Northern Ireland did so unnecessarily. They should have just let all those bombs explode. Once the people were out, it was only property at risk. .

I was commenting on the actions of this person, not the merits of bomb disposal generally. Two fire extinguishers into a bomb factory, after the fire service has pulled out does not equate to a sensible thing to do.

Tim Bennet. said:
This change in expectation will also come as an enormous relief to the other rescue services. No more call outs to help with flood or storm damage and certainly no need to bother with tackling property fires if it means any risk to fire fighters. 'Let it burn - it's only property'..

Same applies here.

Tim Bennet. said:
You only have to go to the US the see where this road has lead. The US Coastguard used to provide a rescue services at sea to anyone who needed it. Now they will only venture out if they believe a life is at risk. Everyone else has to make commercial arrangements for help. It's a system that some might think has merit but is totally at odds with the ethos in the rescue services here. It has also lead to a complete collapse of respect and support by the public for the USCG which has made the execution of their other functions so much harder..

Same here. I'm glad you mention respect - not something naturally given to such an act of stupidity. She was lucky and thankfully unhurt. Respect though? Nope.

Tim Bennet. said:
The Covenant in this debate is relevant: Other posters were suggesting that there should be no compensation for anyone injured in the forces as they knew what they were getting into when they joined up. This idea is totally at odds with situation as has always existed since the days of Charles II.

Directed at those posts then I see the relevance, but not when directed towards the actions of the woman in the link.

Tim Bennet. said:
We know very little about the circumstances of this situation. Based on knowing nothing I am at least prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Based on what is described in the article, she was foolish but lucky, and I would be horrified if this sort of thing was to be encouraged by her employers or the public. Presenting an award for such actions seems wrong to me.

domtyler

Über Member
I am surprised that you seem to value material possessions above human lives Tim. Would you be prepared to lay down your life to save my burning but empty and insured house?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You must have access to very different articles to me; I have seen no evidence that I could use to decide whether her actions were foolish, stupid or any other judgment you have made.

It was an explosives store and she was an explosives expert. I guess if she felt she was in a better position to judge what needed to be done than the local fire service, then that's entirely possible. I don't suppose firemen spend much time training for that specific situation. There's a good chance in Middle Wallop they were part time retained firemen. The decision of their commander that they should withdraw may have been entirely correct based on his knowledge of their capabilities. But it's irrelevant in evaluating her actions. It happens all the time in such situations: there have been mountain rescues in the Lakes where certain teams or individual members have had to be withdrawn as things were getting beyond their skill level, but it doesn't mean that those who persevered and performed the rescue were reckless. Just that they had a skill base that was appropriate.

So the fact she was proved correct in her actions may be down entirely to her sound judgment and not 'luck' as you have decided. Two fire extinguishers used by someone who knew what they were doing may have been exactly what was needed.

Top Bottom