Amazon Prime - worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
We watch television via an Amazon Firestick, usual tv channels plus Netflix, which we use a lot. I’m thinking of adding Amazon Prime, but I’m unconvinced there is sufficient quality content to make it worth it.
I’m looking for decent films, something Netflix is weak at providing, in my opinion.
Anyone out there using Prime able to comment?

Mark pallister

No where near as good as Netflix
the music bit is ok ,photos is excellent unlimited free storage but best bit is free next day delivery on amazon

Gunk

Guru
With the amount of decent stuff on free catch up TV we’ve never seen the need for it. We have a very basic Sky HD subscription and Netflix, I never feel that we’re missing out.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Amazon Prime is like the Hotel California - you may check out any time you like but you may never leave.

Has anyone else successfully managed to leave?

figbat

Slippery scientist
I principally got Prime for the delivery stuff, but have made fairly extensive use of the music and occasional use of the TV, including The Grand Tour (and the kids watch all sorts of junk on it). Oh, also some e-reading content too.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Good value as far as im concerned, i like Netflix too.
Most tv is soaps, cooking and Britain's most pretentious git crap type t. which i dont watch

Pity we cant opt out of tv licensing and just buy the tv viewing you want.

screenman

Legendary Member
Got Prime here, we are not avid tv watchers but I feel I get my monies worth. Also not shopaholics as one person though but it is useful for deliveries, our youngest is also on my account but pays with his card of course, so even more value.

For those going abroad, our youngest set up his Netflix account whilst in Turkey and it works here but was way cheaper.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Good for music and shopping. The T.V. bit is no so good. It does have series like Bosch which is good but the film's are a bit rubbish.

stephec

Legendary Member
I got sick of the jumbled up presentation of the films, the layout is nowhere near as good as Netflix, and to then see that a lot of the content costs extra as it's not included in the standard Prime subscription was the final kick in the knackers.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Amazon tried to bounce me into Prime by making a trial compulsory for an order. I cancelled as soon as the order arrived a week later. No use to me as I only buy very few items and none of their other offerings. In fact they have lost business as In

dodgy

We've been prime subscribers for years, initially for free next day delivery on most stuff. But over the years additional services have been folded into Prime:

• Prime video (with some exclusive content like Jack Ryan, 'Top Gear/Grand Tour' (yes, yes, I know)
  • Amazon music (essential if you have any Alexa devices, we no longer have physical music media in use, much rather tell Alexa what I want to listen to
  • Kindle lending library (free kindle books, limited to one a month I think, but I do use this on holiday)
Obviously there's an ethical dilemma at play here, supporting a faceless company that should probably pay a lot more tax 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, we've agreed that this service will 'survive' our retirement strategy, we'll be cutting a lot of other stuff but staying with Prime.

Top Bottom