Amazon Prime - worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
The films on Prime are not great, but we have it for the music and the series. But lately quite a few of the series seem to be expiring on Prime without warning which is really annoying when you’re half way through watching a series and it suddenly expires.

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Amazon Prime is like the Hotel California - you may check out any time you like but you may never leave.

Has anyone else successfully managed to leave?

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing, but....

I am a regular Amazon user (online shopping), I am frequently offered a "free trial" of Amazon Prime, which, I always avail myself of. I just put a reminder on my phone, then, cancel, online, just before the "free" period expires.

The Cancel procedure IS on their website, although, it is rather well hidden. ;)

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
As others have said the TV is a nice add on. We make full use of the delivery.
But we also have Prime on all our TVs and iPads. It’s good for downloading stuff for car journeys. But not all content is downloadable.

byegad

Legendary Member
After using Prime for a couple of years, mainly for the delivery, but also used the TV element, I gave it up. The TV element started charging for later series of things we were watching, too many items I bought weren't eligible for next day delivery and several times the next day' turned out to be the second day, even when ordering first thing in the morning.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I’m sure TV licensing count streaming from Prime as needing a licence ?

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ33

Only for live TV. If it's streaming / catch-up then no:

"You don't need a TV Licence if you only ever watch on demand or catch up programmes on services other than BBC iPlayer - and never watch live TV programmes on any channel or TV service, including on iPlayer. "

midlife

Guru
I'm sure it counts streaming as watching TV?

"You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)."

"What is streaming?
Streaming is watching TV using the internet instead of downloading a file to your device and watching it later."

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Can't abide their business model. Signed up to Prime for a few months, only to discover that most of the films and TV I wanted to watch cost extra, over and above the actual Prime subscription. I suppose if you regularly shop on Amazon or use some of their other services, then maybe you could make it work, but for me, charging over the subscription fee to actually watch something half decent was a Mickey take.

gbb

Legendary Member

I am a regular Amazon user (online shopping), I am frequently offered a "free trial" of Amazon Prime, which, I always avail myself of. I just put a reminder on my phone, then, cancel, online, just before the "free" period expires.

The Cancel procedure IS on their website, although, it is rather well hidden. ;)
We do this too take the free period then make sure its cancelled.
I'm no lover of Prime or Amazon for that matter, its maybe not logical but I hate the big corporation thing.
Deliveries have been a mix, some items 'disappearing' into the ether, some left in plain view, not delivered properly, just a mess, that said many items do arrive sometimes the same day...
I also dislike Amazon for their furtive signing us up to prime in the past.

lazybloke

Considering a new username

Yes, I've used free trials and cancelled. I've also formally joined and later left. TV content isn't up to much. Music is annoyingly limited.

Next day posting can be v useful. Free posting is excellent.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Amazon sent me a plastic card indicating a free Prime offer.

I rarely buy anything from Amazon so they must be scraping the bottom of their contact list.

The Prime offer included some Premier League football, two rounds of games this month.

Not really tempted, and I couldn't be bothered to read what else was involved.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Yes, I've used free trials and cancelled. I've also formally joined and later left. TV content isn't up to much. Music is annoyingly limited.

Next day posting can be v useful. Free posting is excellent.
Yes. In my experience, delivery is excellent, I have even joked with delivery driver that next step will be to deliver before I have ordered!

Top Bottom