America coast to coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dpiper

I've just ridden the first half of my own transamerica, so maybe there's some useful info here (maps, route, pics, story etc)
ww.tra-velo-gue.co.uk

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
hmmm...well you know BTFB as soon a swe get a few ..erm...reality issues sorted I think it would be a cool thing to pick back up on this idea and actually do it eh? What say you...we could ride it together?

GT aggressor

im going to be riding the trans am trail soon dont know when to start it though ive got all the stuff i need to complete it , its just dates now. got any tips or dos and donts of completing this trail. thanks

jay clock

Massive member

mike1026

I have followed this thread with interest as I am planning to do as much of the trans am as I can.
No-one has yet mentioned anything about visa requirements. I have looked at the US Embassy web site http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/niv/vwp3.html and I think I qualify under the visa waiver scheme. This gives up to 90 days stay and the holder must be in possession of a return ticket. I just wonder if there would be any problems in not being able to provide addresses of residence like hotels or camp sites. Does anyone have any information or experiences about the pitfalls of visa applications.

When I took my motorbike over in 2006, I discovered belatedly that the time between my outward and return flights was 92 days, two days over the visa waiver thingy. Althought it was a bit of a rush, I had to get photos done (the photo booth ones are too small) then go to the American Embassy in London's Grosvenor Square.

As for addresses, a hotel or in my case, an American friend I was staying with for a few days at the beginning and end of my trip, was sufficient.

Yellow7

Über Member
us coast to coast (The Lincoln Highway)

Hi. Not sure if anyone gave you a definate answer but the official US coast to coast is 'The Linclon Highway', 3200 miles. The Adventure Cycling Association do not do maps, i've tried them, but you can gets various books & websites, this is the main one; http://lincolnhighway.jameslin.name/ the best book i've found is "The Lincoln Highway, The Graet American Road Trip" ISBN 978-0-393-05938-0. I cycled US Route 66 last year, a gun you say?? Believe me, it's really NOT like you see on TV, well, maybe in LA, where i finished. The US hospitality was SO amazing, still makes me smile, bloody amazing time!

If you can't find maps the use [as i done for some sections of Route 66] Microsofts Streets & Trips (same as our MS Autoroute but for the US)
Like Route 66, The Lincoln highway has gone under mansy realignments & moved as towns grew into cities so you need to do some research...that's was part of the fun for me with 66, sitting there plotting sections & thinking, "wow, i'm gonn a ride it?!!" Remember, preperation is 9/10ths of the job.
Have fun!
Have fun!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
mike1026 said:
This gives up to 90 days stay and the holder must be in possession of a return ticket. I just wonder if there would be any problems in not being able to provide addresses of residence like hotels or camp sites.
You need an address for your first night, just put that on the landing card and they should be happy.

Does anyone have any information or experiences about the pitfalls of visa applications.
So long as you don't have a criminal record, don't have any communicable diseases and have never had any problems with the US Immigration authorities (including overstaying on a previous visa), it's very straightforward to get a B-2 visa. It's definitely worth doing so if you're in any doubt about whether you'll need to stay longer than 90 days (even a 1-day over-stay will cause you problems next time).

irc

mike1026 said:
I jst wonder if there would be any problems in not being able to provide addresses of residence like hotels or camp sites. .

I did a Vancouver to Boston transam this summer. Starting in VC as I could get a direct flight there from the UK. I therefore went through US immigration/customs at a ferry crossing from Vancouver Island to Washington State which may or may not be more relaxed than at an airport. You need an address to quote for your first night in the USA. I plucked a campsite address off my Adventure Cycling map and quoted that. No problem. I ended up camping elsewhere.

As for the cost of the tour? Camped almost every night. Overall costs about $35 per day incuding everything except flights insurance and hostel/hotel in Boston.

The Adventure Cycling maps are good. It's nice to know whether the only town for the next x no. of miles has shops/campsite/library etc. On the other hand other I made my own route about half the time and other than southern Michigan (1 1/2 days heavy traffic) all the roads I used were fine.

As for E-W or W-E don't worry about the winds. I got more headwinds despite going the supposedly favourable way. On the other hand I only got soaked to the skin once. Not bad for a 4500 mile tour.

Mechanical problems? Three punctures. All during three days in Kansas from Goathead thorns. That's it. Talking to other cyclists rear spoke breakages were the main problems.

The whole boring story at

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?page_id=127840

Top Bottom