America

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redcogs

Guru
Dayvo said:
The same applies to the Spanish (among others) in South America!

Yes Dayvo.

The spreading of 'christian' ideas into America (north and south) via the plunderers sword and gun is another part of human history that creates anger and sadness in equal measure..

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
redcogs said:
Oh dear.

my understanding is that the native american 'indians' had thriving civilisations well before the norse invadors, at least 12000 years ago?

Your Eurocentric approach does not do those noble peoples any justice Andy. But i do agree that the colonisation and genocide perpetrated by the Brits (among others) has been a cultural and political catastrophe - if that is what you meant?

No, it would have been alright. The Vikings didn't do us too much harm once they'd settled down. I should imagine that all the indians would have become happy swillers of ale and decent cross country skiers.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
It's cultural exchange innit? Yer good old Eskimos are a whizz when it comes to snow shoes and igloos but yer Vikings are the boys for skis and booze (I believe that skis were invented in Scandinavia).

There could even have been an Apache version of Abba with their Eurovision winning smash "Wounded Knee".

yello

I've worked in Boston (a year), San Francisco and Miami (both 3 months). I preferred Boston but maybe because I got to know it better than the others... I felt more at home there. FF's right about Miami, once you've been to Miami Beach the rest is pretty soulless - good Cuban restaurants though!

I must admit to really enjoying my time in Boston. I made friends, I knew the place, I was earning.... but that last one makes such a difference. I wouldn't want to be living in the US if I was unemployed or sick. I came back to the UK having enjoyed my time in the US but pleased to be leaving. As beautiful as it is, and believe me it is in places, I couldn't be happy living there knowing how the great unwashed are treated.... or not as the case may be.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
yello said:
As beautiful as it is, and believe me it is in places, I couldn't be happy living there knowing how the great unwashed are treated.... or not as the case may be.
The ex Mr.Baggy is American, so had a couple of holidays over there.

It amazed me how much segregation there is between rich and poor, and between different ethnic groups. This didn't apply so much in NYC (and we briefly visited Boston), but in Hartford, CT where his family lived it was really obvious.

Travelled by (car :biggrin:) through New England up to Maine during leaf-fall which was a wonderful experience, and had one of the best day's cycling in my life at Acadia National park in Maine. The scenery and coast up there is breath-taking.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
snorri said:
Not a tune I am acquainted with, perhaps you could you hum it please:?::biggrin:
I think this is it.

SamNichols

Baggy said:
The ex Mr.Baggy is American, so had a couple of holidays over there.

It amazed me how much segregation there is between rich and poor, and between different ethnic groups. This didn't apply so much in NYC (and we briefly visited Boston), but in Hartford, CT where his family lived it was really obvious.

Travelled by (car :biggrin:) through New England up to Maine during leaf-fall which was a wonderful experience, and had one of the best day's cycling in my life at Acadia National park in Maine. The scenery and coast up there is breath-taking.

I'm staying in Hartford for a while on this trip. I shall look out for this social division. The people that we're staying with are solidly lower middle class.

Also, cycling in Maine this hols. I shall even venture to put on my cyclechat jersey for the ride.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
SamNichols said:
I'm staying in Hartford for a while on this trip. I shall look out for this social division. The people that we're staying with are solidly lower middle class.

Also, cycling in Maine this hols. I shall even venture to put on my cyclechat jersey for the ride.
Whoops, sorry it was actually Westport where I stayed (the beach near there is really nice if you get the chance - it's got Civil War cannons on it!) but Mr. Ex Baggy was born in Hartford.

Which bit of Maine will you be going to? I stayed in Bar Harbor. If you like lobster you'll be in heaven there...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
the Grand Canyon is the single most beautiful & amazing thing I have ever seen in my life. Nothing prepares you for how big & spectacular it is.
Closely followed by Monument Valley... Simply stunning awe inspiring landscape.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I agree about the Grand Canyon. I burst into tears when I saw it, it was so incredibly overwhelming.

I really like America...the Americans are wonderful when they're in America, so welcoming and friendly. We had an amazing honeymoon there, driving a pick up truck a la Daisy Duke round California. Loved it.

simoncc

redcogs said:
Oh dear.

my understanding is that the native american 'indians' had thriving civilisations well before the norse invadors, at least 12000 years ago?

Your Eurocentric approach does not do those noble peoples any justice Andy. But i do agree that the colonisation and genocide perpetrated by the Brits (among others) has been a cultural and political catastrophe - if that is what you meant?

There are no native Americans. Everyone knows that humans originated in Africa. The Americas were populated 12,000 years ago by people from elsewhere. All Americans come from the old world. It is just a matter of when they arrived. Given the time that humans have been on the planet, all human activity in the Americas is very,very recent and no group has any real claim to the place.

Abitrary

simoncc said:
There are no native Americans. Everyone knows that humans originated in Africa. The Americas were populated 12,000 years ago by people from elsewhere. All Americans come from the old world. It is just a matter of when they arrived. Given the time that humans have been on the planet, all human activity in the Americas is very,very recent and no group has any real claim to the place.

You absolute tit. What about the egyptians?

Top Bottom