American tourist stopping you

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
This area has some deliberate mispronunciations, and some that always confuse outsiders.

Slaithwaite for example can be pronounced Slath-wate or Slawwitt, but never Slayth-wate.

Golcar has a silent "l" so is pronounced Go-kar.

Treaure hunt with whatshername in the jump suit and helicopter visited Mytholmroyd in Calderdale. The locals call it My-thum-roid, but the BBC commentator managed somehow to add another syllable. , Mith-oll-um-roid if my memory serves me.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Flying_Monkey said:
Sorry to puncture the general merriment, but many of the US pronounciations are actually closer to the original English pronounciations than our current degraded versions.

I don't care, we're still right. It's our country....:biggrin:

Costessy, on the edge of Norwich, is a good one.

palinurus said:
I bet I'm the same in Wales.

I know I am.

I was once asked by an American where "loobooroo" was.

Loughborough apparently.

So apart from you being familiar with the name by having heard it before, how can the American tell if it is
Luff-bor-ah
Luc-ba-ro
Lo-bo-ruff or any of the seemingly random ways ough is pronounced?

Is it not a bit odd to write something in a ridiculous way and then laugh at someone who does not know this secret code of how to say the word?

Just up the road from here is a place called Chineham, how would you pronounce it?

g00se

Veteran
automatic_jon said:
Wymondham in Norfolk = Wind'am. Which confuses most people really.

"Yew not frum rund ere?"

Wymondham = Windam
Costessey = Cossy
Happisburgh = Haizebrugh
Cley-Next-the-Sea = Cl-eye (and its about a mile inland).

And just for being odd:

Potter Heigham (needs to be prononced with so much raised inflection at the end , folks think you're surprised to be there).

Repps-with-Bastwick (eh)?

and Lammas (or Lamas depending on which side of the village you drive in thorugh first)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Over The Hill said:
So apart from you being familiar with the name by having heard it before, how can the American tell if it is
Luff-bor-ah
Luc-ba-ro
Lo-bo-ruff or any of the seemingly random ways ough is pronounced?

Is it not a bit odd to write something in a ridiculous way and then laugh at someone who does not know this secret code of how to say the word?

I can't remember it now, but isn't there a sentence that uses all the 'ough' variations - something about a ploughboy coughing through something....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thanks to google:

"The dough-faced ploughboy coughed and hiccoughed his way through Loughborough to the lough"

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Is it not a bit odd to write something in a ridiculous way and then laugh at someone.

It is. I've worked with a few a Americans and they insist that theirs is a truer English than ours. Ours is a bastardised English with European & colonial influences

Take the word 'Centre', which like a lot of our words has French origins. Theirs, 'Center', is closer to the correct pronunciation.

Dan B

Disengaged member
My favourite is not pronunciation, but due to the US habit of dropping the suffix "street" (or "road" or "avenue" or whatever) from street names. As witness the apocryphal lost-looking couple wandering outside Trinity College Oxford asking where Selfridges was - they had previously been at Marble Arch, asked for directions to "Oxford", and been put on the coach to the city of that name ...

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I've exchanged emails with Czech colleague many times, but today met her face to face for the first time.

Me: Hello Jana (with a J).
Her: Yana actually.

Oops.

Top Bottom