An aggravating cyclist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...that's what I am apparently!

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE0x4ORGm7s[/media]

This woman seemed to think that endangering cyclists on the road is funny, at least that's what her actions suggest. She was quite happy to drive close to my back wheel at 30mph. So what is the stopping distance at that speed?

Oh and a cyclist cycling along at 30mph in a 30mph zone is holding her up. Exactly how fast does she want to drive?

Sad woman.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
...that's what I am apparently!

So people keep telling you :blink:

But you don't pay road tax...:biggrin:

Twiggy

Terrible, utterly awful.

I can't hear the exchanges, I'm devastated.
Anyone got a moment to write up the exchanges?

Sounds like another motorist not thinking things through, the terrible cyclist, must get past them, they might fall off then I might be blamed for running them over mentality. People in cars do such daft things to try to avoid blame, even though there are many other options avalible, not passing someone is an option, but when you are in several thousand pounds worth of car, well that isn't an option, you've payed a lot of money to get places faster than bikes and people on public transport, and damnit, you will get there before them, even if it means killing them!

Such a silly mentality.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Terrible, utterly awful.

I can't hear the exchanges, I'm devastated.
Anyone got a moment to write up the exchanges?

Sounds like another motorist not thinking things through, the terrible cyclist, must get past them, they might fall off then I might be blamed for running them over mentality. People in cars do such daft things to try to avoid blame, even though there are many other options avalible, not passing someone is an option, but when you are in several thousand pounds worth of car, well that isn't an option, you've payed a lot of money to get places faster than bikes and people on public transport, and damnit, you will get there before them, even if it means killing them!

Such a silly mentality.

I did try and subtitle the gist of it! :huh:

There are sections I can't quite make out, but memory and the snippets I could hear meant I could piece together most of it.

If someone has some technical wizzardy I'm sure they could clear the sound so that we could hear her classic mumblings. :rolleyes:

StuartG

slower but further
You were IMHO in exactly the correct road position. If she was tailgating she is clearly in the wrong (HC etc).

The issue is where we go from there. Turning her misconception that you were in the wrong to considering her driving was at fault and her understanding of safe cycling was also wrong. However much I empathise with your urge to shout at the lady. Might it be counterproductive - merely reinforcing her prejudices?

But what to say or do? Easier to ask than answer. But there may be something we can do to educate the mistaken and not so malicious driver? I do always try and reference the HC with a request to check and refresh their understanding. This can often discomfort since very few (including cyclists) have ever looked at it since the night before hey took their test ...

BSRU

A Human Being
People like her should not be allowed on the road, she obviously has no idea of the concept of stopping distances and seemed pi55ed off she was not an extra few metres further up the road.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Worryingly there are two cycle carriers on the top of her car
blink.gif

Worryingly there are two cycle carriers on the top of her car
blink.gif

Not say it was the case, but you get a lot of people who drive their bikes everywhere and have never cycled on road. Some Mtb'ers on route to Glentress etc are terribly inconsiderate :rolleyes:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Most drivers also fail to appreciate that bicycle can stop in a shorter distance than cars can, a bike and rider are lighter then a car and driver, so the braking distance is shorter (the thinking distance is the same).

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
It might just be me but I think that was a huge over-reaction from magnatom. Now there's another driver who thinks cyclists are twats.

Next time why not keep your cool

al78

Guru
Most drivers also fail to appreciate that bicycle can stop in a shorter distance than cars can, a bike and rider are lighter then a car and driver, so the braking distance is shorter (the thinking distance is the same).

Are you sure about that? I have heard precisely the opposite, that bicycle brakes are pretty poor compared to car brakes so the stopping distance for bikes is greater.

PBancroft

I would tend to agree that road rage is not the answer. Of course that's easier said than done when some does something stupid and life threatening. I think its an admirable thing to aim for to rise above it, signalling clearly intention. ISTR the HC suggests all road users should avoid incidents whenever possible - and that does innclude us, even if in the 'right'

In a car a slight nudge isn't bad... a bike and it's exposed wheel... baaaaad. I give motorbikes (and cyclists of course) much more room because of this, more than the 2 seconds *MINIMUM* (granted I have tested the stopping distance of my car, which is less than "standard" by miles).

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
I would tend to agree that road rage is not the answer. Of course that's easier said than done when some does something stupid and life threatening. I think its an admirable thing to aim for to rise above it, signalling clearly intention. ISTR the HC suggests all road users should avoid incidents whenever possible - and that does innclude us, even if in the 'right'
Absolutely. No-one likes to be lectured. It automatically puts them on the defensive. Having said that, I'm as guilty as the rest when it comes to shouting at stupid drivers but I'm making a conscious effort not to be so "in their face". I'm also making a effort to give good driving a thumbs up. If a driver shows me some consideration I'll acknowledge it if possible

Top Bottom