An aggravating cyclist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
ABS only makes the stopping distance longer on a loose surface, on dry tarmac it'll be shorter. If you emergency stop in a car and haven't left enough space you are likely to hit what is in front of you, on a bike you are likely to be slightly to the side of the vehicle in front and able to avoid it.
In the clip were you going downhill or do you drink petrol in the morning?

Removing the brakes from a car makes it stop faster... mmmm

Twiggy

Aggressive driving shouldn't just be ignored.

Treat every other vehical as if it's a police car, with an idiot at the wheel. You'd not speed past a police car, you'd not go bumper to bumper with one at 30mph.
It's a basic question, would you act in the same way in front of someone who can dish out a punishment?
Would you act the same way to an employer?
ect...

When every road user treats others with respect, the roads will be a nicer and safer place.
It's not wrong to call someone on their misbehavour, it's not wrong to tell someone what they did was dangerous.

marcw

Wrong, try a little basic physics. A car and driver weight over 1 ton, and bicycle and ride generally less than 150Kg, now think about the conservation of momentum. Or just click on the "Calculate" button her.

true if cars and bicycles had the same size brakes. Cars have big discs to transfer heat energy from braking to the atmosphere, they also have four of them.

Removing the brakes from a car makes it stop faster... mmmm
ABS modulates braking to avoid locking the wheels. as you have better traction when the wheels aren't sliding across the surface of the road you stop quicker. When you wheelspin are you going slower or faster than when your wheels have traction?
I must point out I'm not a physics buff so there may well be things I haven't considered.

Stopping distance has two components, braking distance and thinking distance. The braking distance is shorter for a bicycle than a car, and theoretically the thinking distance is the same, but may not be for all people...

You're completely missing the point of how the braking action is applied on a bike.

Most of the braking effect comes from the front brake/wheel. The main purpuse of the rear brake is to stop the rear wheel lifting up so you can get more braking power from the front brake.

In a car the same thing happens but the weight is transfered onto TWO front wheels with much bigger brake pads and a much bigger contact patch with the ground. A car is inherently much more stable under braking than a bike as well. Yes a car may be heavier but it is also more efficient at stopping.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

"I then chose to have a chat to find out why". My point exactly. I would have left it there. You had made your feelings plain enough before then. Anything else is just a waste of time. Do you really think that having a discussion (read argument) in the middle of the road would make her understand any better?

Yes, you would have chose to leave it there, I didn't and don't. Different courses and all that. As for waste of time, maybe not. She wouldn't back down or admit she is wrong at the time. Not many do. However, what a situation like that does, is make you think. I'd bet she'll drive slightly differently next time. I'll bet she'll give the next cyclist a little more room, if only to avoid further confrontation. Some might argue that she'd be more agressive next time. I don't buy that. No-one really want to hurt another person.

What evidence do I have for this? None of course. But then, what evidence do you have that it will make no difference and be a waste of time?

Looking more generally, do you agree that inaction leads to status quo and action can make a difference? I certainly know that a lot of people don't like what I do, but I'd hazard a guess that I have made a difference. I have made some people re-evaluate their attitude/driving/cycling etc. Did I do this by accepting my lot, or taking action?

Sure if I have made a difference, it may be small, but I think it is a difference. Lots of people making small differences....

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Looking more generally, do you agree that inaction leads to status quo and action can make a difference? I certainly know that a lot of people don't like what I do, but I'd hazard a guess that I have made a difference. I have made some people re-evaluate their attitude/driving/cycling etc. Did I do this by accepting my lot, or taking action?

Sure if I have made a difference, it may be small, but I think it is a difference. Lots of people making small differences....
I'm a believer in what goes around comes around. That does not mean "accepting your lot" as you put it. Lets just agree to differ on what constitutes an appropriate reaction to the circumstances

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I'm a believer in what goes around comes around. That does not mean "accepting your lot" as you put it. Lets just agree to differ on what constitutes an appropriate reaction to the circumstances

No worries. Just to clarify, I don't take your comments in a bad way. I'd hate this place if everyone agreed with me. Somehow I don't think that will ever happen! :rolleyes::biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
No worries. Just to clarify, I don't take your comments in a bad way. I'd hate this place if everyone agreed with me. Somehow I don't think that will ever happen! :rolleyes::biggrin:

Aye, he only posts these videos as a wind up to generate discussion ;)

Magnatom, apart from congrats on the herculean acceleration effort, she treated you as an inferior road user due to your mode of transport, NOT your rate of progress.
Get out of the way, you are stopping me from moving forward another 6 foot closer to the rear of the car in front at 30mph. After that sprint she still wouldn't accept that she was in the wrong.

AND I have never heard such a load of twaddle about braking in my life!

ABS waits for a wheel lock up then releases the brakes and re-pumps them to avoid a skid.
A lead footed driver with ABS cannot brake sooner than a skilled driver without ABS. FACT.

On a bike - motor or pedal, rear brake is loaded first to avoid a rear lock up, but can also have a major part of the braking experience for a 2 wheeled vehicle. Certainly not pointless, even in dry conditions.

ABS waits for a wheel lock up then releases the brakes and re-pumps them to avoid a skid.
A lead footed driver with ABS cannot brake sooner than a skilled driver without ABS. FACT.

Thank you.

The soul intention is to stop people who react by slamming on the brakes from drifting off the road not realising that braking directly affects your chances of changing direction.

Top Bottom