An aggravating cyclist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Most drivers also fail to appreciate that bicycle can stop in a shorter distance than cars can, a bike and rider are lighter then a car and driver, so the braking distance is shorter (the thinking distance is the same).

Sorry this is completely the other way round - the (safe) stopping distance on a bike is much further than a car, especially from 30mph.

A car has 4 wheels each with their own brake discs, a much bigger contact patch with the ground and inherent stability as well as things like ABS. Stopping on a bike you are limited firstly by the smaller brake pads and contact patch with ground, and secondly by the amount of braking force you can apply to each wheel - there is only so much braking force you can apply before you either lock the back wheel or do an endo and that limits how fast you can stop.

Waspie

Über Member
Not say it was the case, but you get a lot of people who drive their bikes everywhere and have never cycled on road. Some Mtb'ers on route to Glentress etc are terribly inconsiderate :rolleyes:

They have put in chicanes on the fire road at Glentress between the top and the bottom car parks to slow down cars which I think shows the mentality of a small minority.

Sorry this is completely the other way round - the (safe) stopping distance on a bike is much further than a car, especially from 30mph.

A car has 4 wheels each with their own brake discs, a much bigger contact patch with the ground and inherent stability as well as things like ABS. Stopping on a bike you are limited firstly by the smaller brake pads and contact patch with ground, and secondly by the amount of braking force you can apply to each wheel - there is only so much braking force you can apply before you either lock the back wheel or do an endo and that limits how fast you can stop.

icon_smile_blackeye.gif
I can vouch for that ....
icon_smile_blush.gif

Brakes on a bike are good enough, anything that locks the wheel is fine.
It's the contact area as you have mentioned.

ABS makes the stopping distance longer, it's only there to give you some kind of limited steering control (for people that cannot control their cars themselves). And I don't give a crud what people say, there is more friction from a locked wheel than a rotating one, which is what ABS does it takes the brakes off.

Tbf, Magnatom didn't start that one, he simply asked the person to get off of his back wheel, I sure as hell wouldn't want to have a 4x4 inches away from my back wheel. The women obviously already had a view on cyclists, else wouldn't of told Magnatom that he should of moved.

marcw

Brakes on a bike are good enough, anything that locks the wheel is fine.
It's the contact area as you have mentioned.

ABS makes the stopping distance longer, it's only there to give you some kind of limited steering control (for people that cannot control their cars themselves). And I don't give a crud what people say, there is more friction from a locked wheel than a rotating one, which is what ABS does it takes the brakes off.
ABS only makes the stopping distance longer on a loose surface, on dry tarmac it'll be shorter. If you emergency stop in a car and haven't left enough space you are likely to hit what is in front of you, on a bike you are likely to be slightly to the side of the vehicle in front and able to avoid it.
In the clip were you going downhill or do you drink petrol in the morning?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland

Wrong, try a little basic physics. A car and driver weight over 1 ton, and bicycle and ride generally less than 150Kg, now think about the conservation of momentum. Or just click on the "Calculate" button her.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

It might just be me but I think that was a huge over-reaction from magnatom. Now there's another driver who thinks cyclists are twats.

Next time why not keep your cool

So, if I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that questioning bad driving, I never once swore at her and only raised my voice to be heard and in amazement at her lack of logic, is an over-reaction?

I started the 'conversation' just by holding my palm back when she got too close, to indicate that she was too close. She then indicated to the side of the road. I then, after stopping again, signaled about space and again she indicated that my place was out of her way. I then chose to have a chat to find out why.

I chose to have these chats, not because of the camera (I've had a good few when I've had no camera), but because I chose not to accept the ignorance that pervades society with regards to the requirements, rights and respect that cyclists require when on the road (it works both ways of course). I dare to question the 'car is king culture'. is suggested that over-reacting (and others suggest it is road rage:huh:).

Maybe, just maybe too many people these days 'under-react'. Let poor driving/behaviour pass. That's not me, and never will be. I make no apologies for that, I'm afraid.

Wrong, try a little basic physics. A car and driver weight over 1 ton, and bicycle and ride generally less than 150Kg, now think about the conservation of momentum. Or just click on the "Calculate" button her.

Have you every tried to outbrake a car at 30mph?

Let me know how you get on but I recommend a full face helmet :tongue:

Of course you were holding her up! You were in front of her. It's irrelevant what was in front of you since you can't expect a motorist to look further in front than the one thing immediately ahead. If it was standing traffic it would be you she was stuck behind...she's one of those for whom anything other than the immediate vicinity doesn't exist

As is evident by her failure to notice the parked car that would mean the Fabia having to pull out (hard braking by her caused by poor driving) and then pulling in close behind the Fabia (aggressively) then weaving back out again.

Absolutely no concept of other things ahead further than a few feet. Terrible driving as a whole, towards other cars as well as cyclists

Of course you were holding her up! You were in front of her. It's irrelevant what was in front of you since you can't expect a motorist to look further in front than the one thing immediately ahead. If it was standing traffic it would be you she was stuck behind...she's one of those for whom anything other than the immediate vicinity doesn't exist

As is evident by her failure to notice the parked car that would mean the Fabia having to pull out (hard braking by her caused by poor non-existant observation) and then pulling in close behind the Fabia (aggressively) then weaving back out again.

Absolutely no concept of other things ahead further than a few feet. Terrible driving as a whole, towards other cars as well as cyclists

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Have you every tried to outbrake a car at 30mph?

Let me know how you get on but I recommend a full face helmet :tongue:

Stopping distance has two components, braking distance and thinking distance. The braking distance is shorter for a bicycle than a car, and theoretically the thinking distance is the same, but may not be for all people...

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
So, if I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that questioning bad driving, I never once swore at her and only raised my voice to be heard and in amazement at her lack of logic, is an over-reaction?

I started the 'conversation' just by holding my palm back when she got too close, to indicate that she was too close. She then indicated to the side of the road. I then, after stopping again, signaled about space and again she indicated that my place was out of her way. I then chose to have a chat to find out why.

I chose to have these chats, not because of the camera (I've had a good few when I've had no camera), but because I chose not to accept the ignorance that pervades society with regards to the requirements, rights and respect that cyclists require when on the road (it works both ways of course). I dare to question the 'car is king culture'. is suggested that over-reacting (and others suggest it is road rage:huh:).

Maybe, just maybe too many people these days 'under-react'. Let poor driving/behaviour pass. That's not me, and never will be. I make no apologies for that, I'm afraid.
"I then chose to have a chat to find out why". My point exactly. I would have left it there. You had made your feelings plain enough before then. Anything else is just a waste of time. Do you really think that having a discussion (read argument) in the middle of the road would make her understand any better?

Top Bottom