An aggravating cyclist...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcw

Thank you.

The soul intention is to stop people who react by slamming on the brakes from drifting off the road not realising that braking directly affects your chances of changing direction.

max braking power is the point just before you lock the wheels. Whilst Lewis Hamilton has the ability to brake and keep the wheels near this point, the vast majority of people will lock the wheels when performing an emergency stop, hence with ABS they stop faster, it pumps the brakes for them, quicker than they are able to.

Worryingly there are two cycle carriers on the top of her car
blink.gif

Had a guy in Portsmouth with two god quality racing bikes on the roof... who after narrowly missing me by inches at a narrowing caused by a pedestrian island informed me:

"I ride a bike and know exactly how close I can drive to a cyclist, you don't need any more distance then that"

brokenbetty

Über Member
Had a guy in Portsmouth with two god quality racing bikes on the roof... who after narrowly missing me by inches at a narrowing caused by a pedestrian island informed me:

"I ride a bike and know exactly how close I can drive to a cyclist, you don't need any more distance then that"

I bet he jumps red lights as well, "I know if it's safe, I don't need a light to tell me"

Too many people think they are smart enough not to need to stick to the same rules as the rest of us. The reality is they are too dumb to understand how much they rely on everyone else sticking to the rules.

I bet he jumps red lights as well, "I know if it's safe, I don't need a light to tell me"

Too many people think they are smart enough not to need to stick to the same rules as the rest of us. The reality is they are too dumb to understand how much they rely on everyone else sticking to the rules.

agree.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
There's one thing I really don't understand about this vid.

Are you an owl? How come you look over your right shoulder at the car, then behind you, then back round to the front moving clockwise all the way? Does your head spin 360 degrees? That must be handy in traffic.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

There's one thing I really don't understand about this vid.

Are you an owl? How come you look over your right shoulder at the car, then behind you, then back round to the front moving clockwise all the way? Does your head spin 360 degrees? That must be handy in traffic.

:huh:

(I'll give you a hint...I may have got off of my bike.....;))

JoysOfSight

The purpose of ABS is to retain some control for the driver when a child steps out (or an oncoming lorry crashes through the central reservation) and their first response is to stamp the brake pedal into the floor. By not skidding the driver is able to steer. It is not really about reducing stopping distance - although by happy coincidence, you can also stop rather more quickly when your tyre is gripping the road, than when it is slipping over it.

Because ABS relies on detecting the wheel start to lock before releasing it, in theory a human who braked the wheels at a hair's breadth less than this threshold could out-brake an ABS. But in reality, a good ABS can cycle so fast (15 times a second or more) that I'd be surprised if there's anything in it. To be able to threshold brake faster than an ABS, and then release brake pressure just enough to swerve without locking up (or dropping under threshold) would require superhuman talent. Especially as most of us have one brake pedal and 4 wheels - the ABS system has four (imaginary) pedals!

Dan B

Disengaged member
I would expect a car can stop safer and faster than an upright bike, simply because (1) the bike's geometry makes it quite hard to keep the back wheel on the ground under really hard braking; (2) locking the front wheel is generally to be avoided on a two-wheeled vehicle

But what's that about brake disc size? The braking surfaces on my bikes are approx 62cm diameter: I can't see that car discs are going to be a whole lot bigger

crumpetman

I would expect a car can stop safer and faster than an upright bike, simply because (1) the bike's geometry makes it quite hard to keep the back wheel on the ground under really hard braking; (2) locking the front wheel is generally to be avoided on a two-wheeled vehicle

But what's that about brake disc size? The braking surfaces on my bikes are approx 62cm diameter: I can't see that car discs are going to be a whole lot bigger

62cm? Are you sure about that? Bicycle disc brakes are about 150mm and car disc brakes 250mm and up I think.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
LOL!!!

"aggrovating a motorist while cycling!"

that a beauty, its way up there with that awful offense of

"wearing makeup whilst being ugly"

or even

"being outdoors whilst not in possesion of a brain cell"

So it looks like you have her two to one!

case closed.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
LOL!!!

"being outdoors whilst not in possesion of a brain cell"

So it looks like you have her two to one!

case closed.

Careful or he will make you read his PhD thesis just to prove that he has more than two connected brain calls.

Time to dig out the old avatar Mags... ;)

Top Bottom