An E-Bike report.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zak3737

Über Member
After watching some videos on Youtube, I found myself clicking on GCN's video comparison of a Giant EBike v one of GIant's best road offerings, which was interesting, but a few clicks further found me at Orbea's website looking at their Gain D10.....
Their website seemed to be offering Test Rides via their Dealer network, which after a quick call to a LBS, proved the case, and I was offered the lead in Gain for the weekend. Happy Days, I couldnt resist.

First thoughts, - this looks incredibly like a Standard Road bike, and apart from a small Power button on the Top Tube, its very very 'normal'.
So much so, that when a mate arrived yesterday morning to ride with me, I muttered some excuses that 'Id forgotten to change the TT tyre on my Roubaix, and was gonna have to therefore use my son's 'mates' bike that had been left in teh garage....... all without question, and off we set.

Ok, the first 7/8 miles were flatish, so the 'E' part of the bike stayed off, and on we trundled to warm up, and then we hit a long climb.....:laugh:
Now let me say first of all, that I hate hills, with a passion, always have, even when on a low geared Mountain Bike. Just hate that lung busting effort that they so often need, and I usually just spin away at the back, leaving my buddies to fight to the top and then wait for me.....

So here we are, a sunny morning, and a fairly long climb ahead of us, and I discreetly clicked the power button to the first assistance setting, which was noticeable, and on we trundled.
Slightly steeper now, and I click in to the middle Orange setting, ....more noticable, incredibly easy in fact, and I'm still chatting and looking around, not wanting to power ahead and give the game away, which would have been all too easy.
At this point I comment on a lovely view to our right, and my buddie at this point mumbles something about me having an engine ? I come clean, telling him I wondered how long it would take to realise !
He said he was beginning to think just how much my winter TT sessions had paid off.... lol

Anyway, I'm sold on the concept, I really am. I know, I know.......lots of you die hard 'Roadies' wouldnt dream of 'cheating' with an EBike, but thats the point, I arent a Die Hard Roadie. I'm 56, with some kind of Arrythmia in my ticker (that largely Alcohol brings on), and have no wish of busting my HR to levels that I deem unsensible at my age. I'm fit, I work out well and reasonably hard on the TT, but dont want to be stupid climbing Hills on a Bike, End of.
The EBike concept will simply allow any of us that want to enjoy our cycling better, do just that, without the pain of Hills.

Case in Point: I live very close to a rather nasty little climb, that is really an ideal direct route to lots of places, but being so close, and therefore never warmed up enough, I never do it, Period. To be honest, even if was warmed up, I wouldnt want to climb it, its a lung buster.

But today, I went out purely to see what difference the Ebike would make to that dreaded climb.......
3mins from home, ......10mins it took, I hardly broke breath, and only used Max power for maybe 2/300yds at it steepens at the top.
Complete Game Changer. Thank you Lord !

The Orbea Gain is a nice Bike, ok the model I tried is the cheapest version, but it was ok, the Claris Groupset was ok, the wheels & tyres ok, the Cable Discs ok.......all in all, for £1700, a great intro to E-Biking.

Sure, IF I get one, it would perhaps be the D10 at £3k, with Ultegra and Hydro discs etc, but perhaps its more than 'needed'.

I'm sold on the concept, and yes, if I had £6k burning a hole in my rather shallow pockets, I'd opt for a Pinarello Nytro, with Carbon Frame, and removable Battery, very sexy,..... but for now, I'll consider my options......

But, an EBike I will have, thats for sure !!

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Useful information. Given the operation I've had, plus another I might have to have, being able to ride again was questionable. According to my surgeon it still is. Knowing this I took a look at both an e-bike and an e-trike and am convinced that if I do need one, it'll be bought.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I consider an e-bike from time to time as it stops me from getting a motorbike which my SO hates. In no way is it "cheating". Your using the bike to get somewhere and enjoy the ride while doing so .I'm interested in Giant e-bikes and had not considered any other rebrand until reviewing your ride report, so thanks!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Why buy a new bike unless you want to go 'stealth' like the OP? For about £500 you can get a very good conversion to add to your existing bike. I am just in the process of ordering one.

How about some pics @zak3737 ?

I have been considering this also, I am 56, and at some stage it will become a must, it’s very hilly around here, and if it means I can continue to ride, or ride further, then I wouldn’t hesitate, if I could afford it.

It’s not cheating.

OP
OP
Z

zak3737

Über Member
Why buy a new bike unless you want to go 'stealth' like the OP? For about £500 you can get a very good conversion to add to your existing bike. I am just in the process of ordering one.

How about some pics @zak3737 ?

I didnt take any pics, but here's the stock image of the D40 https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/ebikes/gain-d40-lr/zoom/?img=5498

Each to their own, but I highly doubt any 'add-on' system will be either as efficient, or as reliable, as an actual E-Road bike.
Or for that matter, as aesthetically pleasing !

But you're with me in principle !!

I consider an e-bike from time to time as it stops me from getting a motorbike which my SO hates. In no way is it "cheating". Your using the bike to get somewhere and enjoy the ride while doing so .I'm interested in Giant e-bikes and had not considered any other rebrand until reviewing your ride report, so thanks!

Mine has been complaining about me buying motorcycles, still I have over 20, so she maybe has a point.

Mine has been complaining about me buying motorcycles, still I have over 20, so she maybe has a point.

tradesecrets

I point blank refuse to spend over the odds on a bike , A sub 1,000 still does the job .

And if a Ebike can't recharge whilst on the move i consider it a serious waste of money

If have been using my ebike for a few weeks now and has hugely lifted my enjoyment of my daily commute.

Commuting on my ebike has also resulted in my weekend rides being roughly 0.5mph faster over 45 miles.

Doesn't sound a lot but sure feels faster.

Win, win :smile:

MarkF

Guru

I'd buy another one if I was not physically able to ride normally. I am the same age as the OP, bought tried and sold an e-bike very quickly and replaced it with a Suzuki Van Van which makes more sense to me in every way. Let me ride an e-bike at 30 mph (minimum) and I'd start to consider one again, in the depths of winter when I don't like riding anything, the motorbike gets me to/from work 2/3 times quicker and is cheaper to buy, own and sell.

Right now though I can ride normally and love the cardio work out of a climb.:okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom