An ebike for roadies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Most ebikes are like my Rose, a hybrid which in road bike terms weighs a ton.

There's now a lightweight carbon road bike with a clever motor which sits in the seat tube and drives the bottom bracket.

The battery is in a bottle and the controls appear to be no more than a wireless button which sits on the handlebars.

The maker - Vivax/Gruber - have produced the system for a while, but it's relatively low power - 150w - so never caught on when fitted to a hybrid.

It's hard to gauge performance, but I reckon a club cyclist on one of these could go quite a bit further and faster.

http://www.vivax-assist.com/en/unternehmen/index.php?we_objectID=340

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I notice the words ''we_object'' in the link. I have a feeling that that would be the reaction from the rest of the club.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I notice the words ''we_object'' in the link. I have a feeling that that would be the reaction from the rest of the club.

No doubt, the huffing and puffing from the maiden aunts on the committee would be a joy to behold.

What I meant by 'club cyclist' was any tolerably fit roadie.

In other words, the bike would be no good to a podgy middle-aged bloke of very average fitness such as me.

amaferanga

Veteran
150W is more than your average recreational cyclist could maintain for anything more than a few minutes so I don't see why 150W wouldn't be enough for a hybrid.

But I can't see the point in electric bikes unless you're either very old or have some kind of disability that means you can't propel a bike yourself. If you're healthy, but just unfit then ride your bike more so you get fitter - don't cheat with a motorbike.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
. If you're healthy, but just unfit then ride your bike more so you get fitter - don't cheat with a motorbike.

Cheating what or whom?

Gravity? You?

And riding an ebike will get you fitter, just the same as riding any other bike, although arguably not as quickly.

As regards why ride one, again it's the same as an ordinary bike, they are fun, which sadly seems to be a swear word to some 'cyclists'.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Given the 15 mph limit on assistance for these bikes, they won't be beating anybody!

It's not clear from the website, but I think the bike in the link is not limited.

Top Bottom