An idea - Ventoux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok at this stage this is really just an idea. By this time next month, I should almost have finished LEL and I'm looking for a new challenge. I've always wanted to ride up a real mountain and Ventoux seems a suitable candidate.

I'm thinking of next June/July. Train to Avignon, short hop to Bedoin on day one. Ride up on day two, day 3 relax a bit, day 4 come home.

Piece of cake?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I take it just the one ascent rather than joining les cingles?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
If you really thought that then you would just spend 4 days down the pub! :thumbsup:

I like the idea of tackling the Ventoux one day, but it is a long way to go for one climb! I'd want to spend at least a week cycling round there, preferably two weeks.
Time constraints though unfortunately. I chose Ventoux as it's such an iconic climb that's relatively easy to get to without flying (I want the train journey across France to be part of the fun!)

A quick check has shown that if prices stay roughly the same, a return to Avignon (in 1st naturally) is around £300. Just need to find a cheapish place to rest my head and this is looking slightly more realistic.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It's a thoroughly stupid idea - indeed, if ideas are the fruit of mental struggle, then it's not so much an idea, but, rather, the chance product of neurons colliding. If you really want to waste a weekend, why not get yourself a turbo trainer and pin a picture of Ventoux on the back of the door? And a two bar fire for that authentic overheating experience.

Don't thank me for this good advice - just send me half the money you save.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's a thoroughly stupid idea. If you really want to waste a weekend, why not get yourself a turbo trainer and pin a picture of Ventoux on the back of the door? And a two bar fire for that authentic overheating experience.

Don't thank me for this good advice - just send me half the money you save.
But...but...but.... I'll have the fun of travelling across France by train and I'll also get to climb a real mountain.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You're averse to flying I guess, by the sound of it, but when I did Ventoux I got a 6.30am flight. I was on the bike by 2pm near Ventoux. I then did MV the next day and had 2 more days riding before the flight home. So for 5 days away I did 3.5 days cycling. It seems to me you're making a big effort for 1 ride and 2 days on a train.

Top Bottom