An Irish joke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Paddy and his missus are lying in bed listening to the next door neighbours' dog barking. It had been barking for hours and hours.

Suddenly Paddy jumps up out of bed and says "I've had enough of this".

He goes downstairs.

Paddy finally comes back up to bed and his wife says, "The dog is still barking. What have you been doing?"

Paddy says "I've put the dog in our yard . Foogin' see how THEY like it !"

domtyler

Über Member
Hmmm, are we 'allowed' to tell 'Oirish' Jokes any more? :laugh:

OP
OP
mr_hippo

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
domtyler said:
Hmmm, are we 'allowed' to tell 'Oirish' Jokes any more? :biggrin:
If I substituted 'Irish' with 'one-legged, Jewish, black, blind, deaf, short, fat, lycra-clad, Albanian, trans-sexual gypsy with ADD', I think I would have a better chance of offending more people.

alecstilleyedye said:
the pc brigade haven't got as far as thailand yet…

Oh, yes, it has. As well as pc's we have laptops!

domtyler

Über Member
All the same, ridiculing minorities along the lines of race, gender, sexual orientation or religion (among others) on a public internet forum is always going to put you dodgy ground.

It's one thing in the privacy of your own home, with close friends or family but on here you have no idea who is going to read it and being poked fun at and called thick or whatever by a stranger may not be all that funny. You intended to amuse and/or entertain (I assume), but you may well have made someone feel pretty bad. PC or whatever, that's not good.

Just something to think about for next time.

girofan

domtyler said:
All the same, ridiculing minorities along the lines of race, gender, sexual orientation or religion (among others) on a public internet forum is always going to put you dodgy ground.

It's one thing in the privacy of your own home, with close friends or family but on here you have no idea who is going to read it and being poked fun at and called thick or whatever by a stranger may not be all that funny. You intended to amuse and/or entertain (I assume), but you may well have made someone feel pretty bad. PC or whatever, that's not good.

Yeah, but if you are a WASP nobody can get to you!!

OP
OP
mr_hippo

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
domtyler said:

Did you reply to a thread called "A rat the size of Mr Hippo..."? I see that you did. Why did you not point out to Aperitif that I, posting as Mr Hippo, may be offended by the title?

Do you own a pair of black shoes? Please change your description as black people may be offended.

Did you ever watch the comedy series "In Loving Memory" with Thora Hird? It was a comedy set in a funeral home. My dad died when the series was on, should I have complained that I have just lost my dad and a comedy about funeral homes is inappropriate?

If you or any other poster is offended by any of my postings, please feel free to reply saying that you are offended but don't expect me to change.

Aint Skeered

domtyler said:

Get a life mate

mr_hippo said:
Did you reply to a thread called "A rat the size of Mr Hippo..."? I see that you did. Why did you not point out to Aperitif that I, posting as Mr Hippo, may be offended by the title?

Do you own a pair of black shoes? Please change your description as black people may be offended.

Did you ever watch the comedy series "In Loving Memory" with Thora Hird? It was a comedy set in a funeral home. My dad died when the series was on, should I have complained that I have just lost my dad and a comedy about funeral homes is inappropriate?

If you or any other poster is offended by any of my postings, please feel free to reply saying that you are offended but don't expect me to change.

Your joke is offensive and your analogies don't work.

Perhaps I'll make a few jokes about white British men buying sex in Thailand.

domtyler

Über Member
mr_hippo said:

The title did.... surprise me a little. I wasn't one hundred percent comfortable but let it pass. Mainly as you have chosen to make a public joke of your weight/size quite deliberately.

mr_hippo said:

This is absurd, and you know it. A crude rhetorical ploy designed to add weight to your anti-PC ranting. Racist jokes are not acceptable on a public internet forum, but you know that too.

mr_hippo said:

Death is an inevitable part of life for everyone. You cannot compare this to making a joke about a sub-section of society or indeed propagating negative stereotypes of a whole race.

mr_hippo said:

I am not particularly offended, I'm not Irish. But that's not the point. You could have offended and/or deeply upset someone who read yet another racist joke when they were not expecting to read such things on a public cycling forum. I am simply saying that it is not appropriate humour for this forum. I am not asking you to change, just don't post any more racist jokes.

bonj2

domtyler said:

Oh for god's sake get off your politically-correct high horse you southern ponce!

Top Bottom